Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Nostalgia & History > Newport News Train Trip August 1971 – Part 1

Date: 08/21/16 10:43
Newport News Train Trip August 1971 – Part 1
Author: krm152

Continuation of first photos taken 1971 with my Instamatic X35 on Kodacolor X film.
Part 1 From Train, Arrival in Newport News, & Some Photos During Visit
My wife and I decided to take a long weekend trip by train in August 1971 to visit a couple living in Newport News that we had been college friends with. My parents agreed to watch our two young sons while we were away. We were able to do the entire trip by train by taking the South Wind to/from Indianapolis where we changed to the George Washington/James Whitcomb Riley to/from Newport News. We had first class accommodations all the way. I had concerns about departing on Friday 13th but it worked out great. The NB South Wind had arrived early and was waiting when we arrived at Union Station. We had an enjoyable ride to Indianapolis spending some time in the sleeper dome. We had a scheduled four hour layover in Indianapolis that turned into an actual five hour layover. The train we boarded had two PC E Units. Interestingly, the conductor was wearing an NYC uniform. The engineer was obviously trying to make up time as the ride to Cincinnati was fast and rough. There, they replaced the two PC E8s with a single C&O E8. We pulled out of Cincinnati and crossed the Ohio River. The train made an unscheduled stop in Covington. By this time, it was past midnight, so my wife and I turned in. Next morning, we found out that the engine had failed in Covington. As a result, a freight unit was coupled ahead of the E8 to pull the train. We met a couple of older C&O officials in the diner at breakfast and had a pleasant conversation with them. At Charlottesville, they replaced the broken E8 and freight unit with a single E8 that carried us to our destination where we arrived about one hour late.
Photo 1- From the vestibule departing Charlottesville.
Photo 2- B&O #1456 EMD E9A on the EB GW/JWR at Newport News.
Photo 3- Amtrak EB George Washington/James Whitcomb Riley at Newport News.
Photo 4- From front door of depot, E9A has been cut off to be turned for return.
Photo 5- Three Coal Hauling Ships (rear bridges) and a Freighter (rear bridge) lying at anchor in James River.
Photo 6- Coal Loading facility.
Photo 7- Photo of host couple with their children and my wife (light blue dress in middle).
Photo 8- Photo of my wife and I with our hostess and her children.
Photo 9- Historic Home in Jamestown VA.
Photo 10- General View of Historic Williamsburg.
Part 2 (Next Sunday) covers the return trip with some interesting photos in Indianapolis
ALLEN

Date: 08/21/16 10:45
Re: Newport News Train Trip August 1971 – Part 1

P 4-6

Date: 08/21/16 10:48

P 7-9

Date: 08/21/16 10:49

P 10

Date: 08/21/16 17:53
Author: The_Chief_Way

Looks like a good trip. Thanks for sharing !

Date: 08/21/16 19:03
Author: RodneyZona

Nikce shots\! Old C&O Railway operating crews on the Gorge washington, were based out of Charlotteville, VA and workec between Charlotteville and new port News, VA'

Date: 08/22/16 06:10
Author: bandob

Looking forward to part 2, Allen. Here's the 1971 time table and schedules in effect for the trains you rode.

B&OBill

Date: 08/22/16 07:58
Author: FECcarman

Brings back some good memories of Newport News. Thank you.

Date: 08/22/16 12:47

Thanks for the comments and the posting of the applicable schedules.  It really makes me happy for people to enjoy my posts.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds