Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Nostalgia & History > SF MUNI Double-Ender 1009

Date: 08/23/16 19:14
SF MUNI Double-Ender 1009
Author: KeyRouteKen

A couple of days ago, I think it was Marty Bernard who was talking about MUNI 1009.  I scooped up my old story about the 1009 and I'm putting the LINK to the story here, in case you want a few laughs...http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2660251

Art Curtis told me of the times he had 'races' thru Twin Peaks tunnel late at night.  He said his all-time high speed run late at night, with a PCC, was something like 11-minutes from Geneva to 11th & Market. Can you guys envision this ?

Cheers.

KRK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/16 10:45 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 08/23/16 20:09
Re: SF MUNI Double-Ender 1009
Author: MartyBernard

Yes, three months ago I did post a photo of a MUNI double-ended PCC 1009.  In your January 2012 post about that fantasrtic fan trip in 1009 you mentioned sitting near the front door and observing two young railfan lads.  One you said was Cameron Beach.  I knew him professionally in the 1990s.  What a wonderful person.

Question.  How do you know what is the front of a double-ended car.  The only PCC cars I worked on were single ended.

Marty Bernard

Date: 08/23/16 20:12
Author: JimBaker

Rolf St.Clair Augustine was quite a character.
When he was down here in Los Angeles, he wouold come out to the SC-ERA (ERHA-SC) meetings and the OERM Museum where I was hanging trolley wire.
He was a professional Librarian by trade.
Is he still with is or has he passed to that carhouse in the sky?

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 08/23/16 23:19
Author: Ritzville

Here is a picture of me taken by Drew Jacksich running the 1009 in 1977. It was a great riding and running PCC. I was really surprised to find this picture on TO posted back in 2006. One of my several rail jobs over the years was working for the SF Municipal Railway back in the 1970's. Art Curtis was a great guy to work with back in those days. He was a Supervisor when I was there.

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/16 23:24 by Ritzville.

Date: 08/24/16 03:03
Author: DNRY122

1009 is a survivor.  In the photos above, we see it in a fresh Muni green "simplified" paint job. With the end of regular PCC operation in 1982, Muni put it in storage, but in a place with poor security.  Six years ago, it was moved to the Metro East yard, where I got these photos of a pitiful "basket case" 1009.  But apparently the Muni staff knew that more double ended cars would be needed in a few years to start the "E" line, which terminates at the Caltrain stub-end platform and has no turning facilities.  So what was left of 1009 was shipped off to Brookville in PA and the third photo shows the result.  Not quite like the cable car craftsment who "jack up the gong and build a new car under it", but one wonders how much of the "historic fabric" remains in the car we see now.

Date: 08/24/16 03:33
Author: DNRY122

I read the 2012 posting by Key Route Ken, and it mentioned Art Curtis.  He's still active in streetcar preservation, and answers a lot of questions on Facebook.  In the photo from a 2012 fantrip, where he was our "tour guide", he's the fellow in the blue shorts by the left front corner of the last PCC built in North America.

Date: 08/24/16 09:52
Author: Ritzville

Glad to see 1009 survived it's dismal shell of itself into a great looking streetcar. Also glad to see Art Curtis is still active at the Muni. I sure enjoyed running those Torpedo double-ened cars on the J Line for years back in the 1970's.

Larry

Date: 08/24/16 10:13

Jim--  Rolf Augustine is still with us and is retired from the Librairian job at UC-Santa Cruz.  I believe I have his photo.  I'll see if I can find it !
  KRK

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rolf St.Clair Augustine was quite a character.
> When he was down here in Los Angeles, he wouold
> come out to the SC-ERA (ERHA-SC) meetings and the
> OERM Museum where I was hanging trolley wire.
> He was a professional Librarian by trade.
> Is he still with is or has he passed to that
> carhouse in the sky?

Date: 08/24/16 10:15

Hi Marty--  I just assumed Front Door, because that is where we got on and where Art Curtis was positioned as Motorman.

KRK

MartyBernard Wrote:
> Yes, three months ago I did post a photo of a MUNI
> double-ended PCC 1009.  In your January 2012 post
> about that fantasrtic fan trip in 1009 you
> mentioned sitting near the front door and
> observing two young railfan lads.  One you said
> was Cameron Beach.  I knew him professionally in
> the 1990s.  What a wonderful person.
>
> Question.  How do you know what is the front of a
> double-ended car.  The only PCC cars I worked on
> were single ended.
>
> Marty Bernard

Date: 08/24/16 11:47
Author: GettingShort

The best "feel good" story of the day. Seeing 1009 brough back from the dead by the craftsman at Brookville loco is great.

Date: 08/24/16 22:05

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
> Jim--  Rolf Augustine is still with us and is
> retired from the Librairian job at UC-Santa
> Cruz.  I believe I have his photo.  I'll see if
> I can find it !
>   KRK
>
> JimBaker Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Rolf St.Clair Augustine was quite a character.
> > When he was down here in Los Angeles, he wouold
> > come out to the SC-ERA (ERHA-SC) meetings and
> the
> > OERM Museum where I was hanging trolley wire.
> > He was a professional Librarian by trade.
> > Is he still with is or has he passed to that
> > carhouse in the sky?

Here is a photo of ROLF.  He is about 79 Years old !!

KRK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0613 seconds