Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday: Jesup, GA then and now

Date: 09/23/16 02:58
Depot Friday: Jesup, GA then and now
Author: bandob

Amtrak stops at the former Atlantic Coast Line station in Jesup. Or, as seen in 2009, what remained of it.

Restoration is now complete, as seen from the Silver Meteor on September 20 this year.

B&OBill

Date: 09/23/16 03:48
Re: Depot Friday: Jesup, GA then and now
Author: richs

Great restoration. Do you happen to know the price tag on this?
RichS

Date: 09/23/16 04:12
Author: bandob

The web site Great American Stations says the city got $836,000 grant in Federal funds, but didn't give total cost.

Maybe some here knows more. I was just passing through.

B&O Bill

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/23/16 05:01
Author: millerdc

Does Amtrak use a different track than the weed covered one shown?

Date: 09/23/16 05:29
Author: RFandPFan

millerdc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Amtrak use a different track than the weed
> covered one shown?

Yes, that is the old Southern interchange track, not used anymore.  This is on the CSX A Line, well maintained.  They also have a very nice water fountain next to the station as part of the project.

Date: 09/23/16 06:48
Author: ctillnc

http://railga.com/Depots/jesup.html

The station also served Southern passenger trains Atlanta-Brunswick. The Southern line bridges over the ACL a quarter mile northeast of the station.

Date: 09/23/16 12:10
Author: ts1457

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://railga.com/Depots/jesup.html
>
> The station also served Southern passenger trains
> Atlanta-Brunswick. The Southern line bridges over
> the ACL a quarter mile northeast of the station.

At one time Southern's Skyland Special between Asheville NC and Jacksonville FL ran on ACL trackage rights. Also some Southern Atlanta-Jacksonville service  ran on the ACL south of Jesup.

Date: 09/23/16 15:15
Author: Latebeans

It is nice to see a then and now set where now is better.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/23/16 16:50
Author: Evan_Werkema

What was the function of the beams projecting from the dormer above the bay window?  It looks like a place where the station name would be displayed, but it isn't in either the before or after view.  Another possibility would be to support a paddle orderboard, but the front-on view on this page suggests they aren't for that purpose either:

http://railga.com/Depots/jesup.html

Date: 09/23/16 17:07
Author: ctillnc

I have read that the Southern/ACL connection at Jesup was last used by a Southern passenger train from Atlanta to Florida (jointly operated by SLSF) in the early 1960s. Southern kept running straight into Brunswick for a year or two after that.

Southern passenger trains from the Carolinas to Florida entered the ACL at Hardeeville, SC just north of the Savannah River. I think those died out in the 1960s also, and in any event Southern gave up its ACL trackage rights into Savannah and beyond from the north as part of the ACL/SAL merger conditions. 

Date: 09/23/16 19:39
Author: upkpfan

Evan,
Yes, the beam is in the before shot. upkpfan

Date: 09/24/16 00:43
Author: Evan_Werkema

upkpfan Wrote:

> Yes, the beam is in the before shot.

What I was trying to say (rather clumsily) is that the station name isn't written out on the beam in either the before or the after shot.  Displaying the station name seemed to me the most likely use for a beam like that, but the fact that the station name didn't appear on the beam in either the before or the after shot made me wonder if the beam had some other, less obvious reason for being there.

Date: 09/25/16 18:02
Author: upkpfan

My guess would be for a train order signal of some type.  Never seen a beam used before. Usually a pipe.  upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds