Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Nostalgia & History > GM&O switcher working on a Saturday

Date: 09/24/16 11:40
GM&O switcher working on a Saturday
Author: cewherry

In my railfanning days around Kansas City I was limited to weekend days to capture images.
​Here is Gulf Mobile & Ohio engine 57, an Alco RS-1, class of 1945 still at it 23 years later on a Saturday morning in the summer of 1968.
​The engine began life with the same number on the Alton before that road was merged with the GM&O in 1947.
Their yard in KC was located in the west bottoms area adjacent to the Frisco's yard at 19th Street.
After I left the midwest, these tracks and their route out of town to the east changed ownership multiple times. I can't begin to accurately count those
​changes so I leave it to others to piece the story together.

Charlie

Date: 09/24/16 18:47
Re: GM&O switcher working on a Saturday
Author: Bob3985

Great catch. GM&O was one of my favorite railroads as I gre up on the Chicago mainline in Lockport IL. I used to go to the Texaco refinery with my grandmother to pick up grandpa and watch the RS-1's switch the plant while waiting.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/26/16 06:12
Re: GM&O switcher working on a Saturday
Author: ShastaDaylight

Great image with lots of great memories too!

I fondly recall seeing GM&O RS-1's in KC in the late 1960's and early 1970's, particularly here in the West Bottoms area. GM&O's legions of F-3's were also a common sight on the railroad's freights between Illinois and KC. In keeping with Bob's comments, it was great to chase GM&O F-unit powered freights along US Highway 66 (Route 66) between Springfield and Bloomington, IL, and to see more RS-1's working the yard along US 66 southwest of downtown Chicago.

Thanks for sharing this photo!

ShastaDaylight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0835 seconds