Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Trolley for Texas Tuesday

Date: 09/27/16 11:37
A Trolley for Texas Tuesday
Author: cewherry

Here is Texas Transportation Company's freight motor #2 awaiting its next switching move in San Antonio in September 1968 
​Wikipedia says the motor was built by St. Louis Car Company in 1907 as an interurban car for the Texas Traction Company and was later
​acquired by Texas Electric in 1917. T.E. rebuilt it into a freight motor in 1929 and Texas Transportation bought it in 1949.
​It was still in use in 2000 when T.T. ceased operations after the Pearl Brewery closed. No. 2  is preserved and on display today, but Wiki doesn't say where.

I found it quite by accident while visiting Hemisfare and was drawn by it's obvious clean condition. Notice the upgraded 26L air brake equipment.
Without the 'F' being visible I would say we are looking at the rear. I didn't take photos of the front so I can't tell what kind of bell it had but I wonder
if those speakers beneath the roof line were used as some electronic bell amplifier?

​Charlie

Date: 09/27/16 12:29
Re: A Trolley for Texas Tuesday
Author: twin_star_rocket

Those "speakers" look like light fixtures to me.

Brian Ehni

Date: 09/27/16 12:34
Author: HotWater

twin_star_rocket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those "speakers" look like light fixtures to me.
>
> Brian Ehni

Correct. Having seen that little beauty in service (yes I did take a few 35mm slides of her), back in 1963, I can tell you those are headlights.

Date: 09/27/16 13:19
Author: miralomarail

With thanks to our Uncle Sam, I enjoyed ? A all expensed paid vacation in Aug of 1979 at Fort Sam Houston .  And my Army uniform got me access inside the Pearl Beer plant

Date: 09/27/16 13:35
Author: santafe199

Cool stuff! I'll bet TTC's history would be a fascinating read...

Lance/199

Date: 09/27/16 15:58
Author: Bscale316

Thanks for posting. Love to see electric freight.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 09/27/16 20:38
Author: terrybaker

Another vote here in favor of electric operations, especially those last holdouts when most others had long since disappeared.

I never got to to see the TTC in operation nor visit the brewery, but in late 1964 I did experience Pearl beer, along with Jax, another regional product, when patronizing the beer gardens at Ft. Polk LA.  It was my first exposure to 3,2 beer, and I was not impressed.

Date: 09/28/16 07:08
Author: twin_star_rocket

My senior year at Texas A&M, I took a railfan trip with college buddies to San Antonio, and we all got to ride #2, either from the brewery to the SP interchange or back (we swapped out). A highlight was that the crew had a case of Pearl iced down on the floor, and we were offered a can each. I'll have to drag out my slides of that trip and scan soon!

Brian

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds