Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Nostalgia & History > Want to Volunteer at Your Local Museum But ...

Date: 10/19/16 13:55
Want to Volunteer at Your Local Museum But ...
Author: MartyBernard

... don't want to get involved with a major time-consuming renovation project? Then find some small things to do. Here's an example. At the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry I found this small baggage cart just sitting around, unloved and paintless. What to do with it to make it an artifact that museum visitors would look at?
Sitting against the wall in the lobby was a small information rack filled with brochures on nearby attractions and other information. 

Yes, I turned the baggage cart into a stand for the info rack.  I did a little Bondo work on the wooden parts of the cart and painted it Alaska RR blue (I assume it was ARR's) and attached the rack.  Now, instead of being obscure, it's out front where all visitors pass.

A few hour's work on three days.

Now it's your turn to do a small project.

Marty Beranrd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/16 14:00 by MartyBernard.

Date: 10/19/16 14:22
Re: Want to Volunteer at Your Local Museum But ...
Author: garrett

Marty,

I coudn't agree with you more.  There are so many little things that can be done by anyone with ambition.

Your cart is awesome, and a perfect example of how to utilize resources to your museum's advantage.

garrett

Date: 10/19/16 14:55
Author: iliketrains

For those of you who don't have the skill set to make this happen, almost every all volunteer museum can use a cleaning and weeding paeson.

Date: 10/19/16 17:00
Author: Frisco1522

Back in the day long before the Museum of Trasnport was owned by St. Louis county, a man who I knew to have amazing restoration knowledge and experience decided to volunteer to aid in restoring something.   He showed up twice and offered his services and qualifications. The director put him to work with a keg of bent track spikes and told to straighten them.   Same thing the second week.   Looking around at all the exhibits that could have been helped by his talent, he never went back.  The policy at that time was to acquire, acquire acquire but don't waste time restoring or stabilizing.
Another story about the guy was that a representative from the PRR drove onto the property to speak with the director to see if the museum would be interested in a number of pieces, but hit one of the 50 feral cats that populated the place.  The director had a hissy fit and took a broom handle started yelling at the guy and beating on the car roof.   Needless to say..............

Date: 10/20/16 08:38
Author: asheldrake

Marty,  great posting!   It is truly amazing the number of tasks that are available if one has the ability to see them.   and everyone of them contribute to the overall success of a facility.   Arlen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds