Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Nostalgia & History > Necro Fluggenphoamin Beowawe, NV (now with more necro!)

Date: 10/21/16 20:50
Necro Fluggenphoamin Beowawe, NV (now with more necro!)
Author: BoilingMan

This one is not entirely off topic.  If you are a student of the SP's Nevada crossing, then you are surely familiar with The Maiden's Grave.
For the rest- a quick primer:   On her way to California, wagon train member Lucinda Duncan passed away in the Summer of 1863.  Years later, in 1906, her grave was discovered by crews grading for the Harriman Realignment and moved her to a hill overlooking the railroad.  The RR erected a large cross and maintained it, and the story, for years.  It was said Lucinda had passed at the tender age of about 14-  hence the name "Maiden's Grave".  (Lucinda was in fact a 71yr old grandmother, rather stretching the maiden thing)

Photos 1&2.  These are the typical views of the cross we've seen for years, although they generally include a train in the background.  None was provided during my visit.
Photo 3.  My flying camera provides a slightly different prospective-  only someone who knows the spot (it's on a hilltop) would wonder how it was done.

SR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/16 23:44 by BoilingMan.

Date: 10/21/16 21:14
Re: Necro Fluggenphoamin Beowawe, NV (now with more necro!)
Author: Cupolau

When I visit my son in Elko which is about four times a year from central California I really appreciate how remote this area is and what the pioneers were able to endure.

Date: 10/21/16 22:51
Author: atsf121

I like driving through there in my air condtioned car at 70+mph. Can't imagine doing it by wagon train.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/22/16 00:10
Author: Lairport

Someone told me that RR locationt is pronounced like "BOW". My grandfather left me some rather worthless land nearby in Cresent Valley, I don't know why I keep paying taxes to Eureka Co.

Date: 10/22/16 08:20
Author: callum_out

Depends on where it is in Crescent Valley, with mining picking back up a bit a lot of those guys
live in Crescent Valley. If it's outside the town limits you better hope someone finds gold!

Out

Date: 10/22/16 08:24
Author: callum_out

And one other on Biowopwop, the town (??) has a population (living) of I dunno, 50? but
it has a library.

Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/16 12:56 by callum_out.

Date: 10/22/16 09:21
Author: goldcoast

Did you take any photos of the 1939 City of San Francisco wreck site near Harney?

Date: 10/22/16 11:29
Author: Cupolau

I was corrected several times while in Elko by the locals telling me that it is pronounced " Bee-o-wa-we". And as long as the price of gold stays steady there is plenty of work to be had. A lot of gold mines in this area.

Date: 10/22/16 11:50
Author: BoilingMan

goldcoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you take any photos of the 1939 City of San
> Francisco wreck site near Harney?

No. I considered it, but the site bares little resemblance to what was there at that time. Even the bridge is gone now.
So it didn't make the cut.
SR

Date: 10/22/16 13:20
Author: Lackawanna484

71 one year old lady on a wagon train in 1863

that's courage,and confidence in the future

Date: 10/22/16 13:30
Author: WAF

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 71 one year old lady on a wagon train in 1863
>
> that's courage,and confidence in the future

Correct despite what Ted Benson and Lucius Beebe have written that said she was 18. IIRC, the grave marker says 70. Just made for better journalism to make her a child

Date: 02/09/23 18:50
Author: JimBaker

Back in the 1970s a WP signal maintainer I met a few miles west of 'Beo' told me he had to get down to
'Bay-oH-Wah-Way'.                   --Jim Baker

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds