Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > Before the Maple Leaf

Date: 10/25/16 08:42
Before the Maple Leaf
Author: ghCBNS

Before the Maple Leaf was inaugurated in 1981......this was the connection between Toronto and Buffalo. A jointly operated CP Rail, TH&B and Penn Central train using CP RDC Dayliners shown here departing Toronto Union Station.

And it followed a different route than the Maple Leaf: Hamilton to Welland on the TH&B then Penn Central between Welland and Buffalo.

Date: 10/25/16 08:48
Re: Before the Maple Leaf
Author: valmont

Do you have any info on RDC service between Niagara Falls, NY and Buffalo? 50's maybe into very early 60s .....

Date: 10/25/16 13:21
Author: DavidP

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you have any info on RDC service between
> Niagara Falls, NY and Buffalo? 50's maybe into
> very early 60s .....

NYC operated several "Beeliner" (RDC) trips between Buffalo and Niagara Falls into 1959.  Most were gone by mid-1960.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/16 04:54 by DavidP.

Date: 10/25/16 13:41
Author: King_Coal

Nice - 2 RDC3s. Wish I had taken that trip.

Date: 10/25/16 15:06
Author: moonliter

While trying to answer the "Beeliner" question on this post I erased my original post on the question of CN's service to Buffalo via Niagara Falls, NY with RDCs.  I stated that I could not find one, only the Lehigh Valley/CN overnight service the "Maple Leaf".  This service ended on February 03, 1961.  The only connection to Buffalo was via a taxi ride from Port Colborne.
The NYC did indeed operate RDCs between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY. I have included a scan of the service from the April 26,1959 tt.  They were gone by the next tt issued on July 12,1959.

Gerry Gaugl
​Ottawa ON

Date: 10/25/16 15:48
Author: valmont

Thank you, beeliner was stuck in my head for some reason, and I rode that beeliner more than once!!!

Date: 10/25/16 16:07
Author: RodneyZona

Nice shots!  T&E crews operated that CP Beeliner Toronto-Buffalo-Toronto on a milage basis, every third day basis. Correction are welcome.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds