Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Nostalgia & History > Texas Tuesday: Katy Hefalumps

Date: 10/25/16 09:44
Texas Tuesday: Katy Hefalumps
Author: march_hare

Frugality was an MKT byword, forced on the carrier by its marginal financial status.  One aspect of this was re-engine rebuild programs to install EMD diesel engines in locomotives from minority builders.

1)  Most obvious of these were the handful of RS3s that were send back to EMD for rebuild.  They returned with a GP9 long hood and the rest of the unit pretty much untouched.  Seen here switching in Sherman, TX in 1985.

2)  Baldwin switchers were less obvious, but I'm pretty sure this guy has been equipped with an EMD 567.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  Seen outside the shops at Dennison on a sweltering summer day in 1985.

Date: 10/25/16 13:30
Re: Texas Tuesday: Katy Hefalumps
Author: MartyBernard

What a bunch of stuff on the short hood of that EMDed RS3.  Love it.  Thanks for showing us.

Marty Bernard

Date: 10/25/16 19:22
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Yes the Baldwin switchers were re-engined with 567B prime movers rated 1000 hp.

Also re-engined were a few FA's and some Baldwin AS16's.  Save for the F-M road switchers, all other non-EMD
products were scrapped.

Date: 10/25/16 19:55
Author: Atlpete

I remember those re-engined Baldwins wandering up the Denton Branch from my vantage point as a material handler at an on-line Occidental Chemical plant in Farmers Branch (aside, my kids did not come out with web toes thank you, but they could have, it was a nasty place)
Since they were operating as the branch daily "road power" they had these neat truncated caboooses.
http://rr-fallenflags.org/mkt/mkt-c1bbp.jpg
though I think the crew was always up front. As I recall they would work as far north as the Frisco and SLSW interchange at Carrolton and then wander back that afternoon. I think the big box on the SW hood next to the spark arrestors were sand bunkers. These untis lasted quite awhile for re-engined power, I re-call the Reading had a similiar re-engined set that looked quite similiar(sans bunkers) and were equally successful.
Is that true Reading fans?

Date: 10/25/16 21:06
Author: Evan_Werkema

Atlpete Wrote:

> I re-call the Reading had a
> similiar re-engined set that looked quite
> similiar(sans bunkers) and were equally
> successful.
> Is that true Reading fans?

http://www.readingmodeler.com/index.php/articles/88-locomotive-reference/switching-locomotives/166-emd-sw-1200m

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds