Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Nostalgia & History > Queen of the Show, then all down hill from there...

Date: 10/25/16 21:26
Queen of the Show, then all down hill from there...
Author: WrongMain

Back in the summer of 1976 EMD introduced the GP15 series of locomotives as competition to the various rebuilding programs that had started up.  ElectroMotive used the RSA show in Chicago to introduce the new model.  The Chicago Northwestern furnished one of their new GP15-1's, the 4410, to be the star of the show.  The glistening green and yellow road switcher was parked alongside several EMD banners and signs and looked really good.  But time and heavy service took its toll on the 4410.  I found it in Waukegan in February of 1992 next to sister 4404.  It looked like it hadn't seen a wash rack since its birth, but at least it was still working.  Anyone know what ever happened to the one time "head liner?"

Date: 10/25/16 21:49
Re: Queen of the Show, then all down hill from there...
Author: PHall

I wouldn't consider it "all downhill from there" with these units. Just about every one one of them that was built is still in service.
Not bad for 40 year old units...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/16 21:50 by PHall.

Date: 10/25/16 22:35
Author: WrongMain

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't consider it "all downhill from there"
> with these units. Just about every one one of them
> that was built is still in service.
> Not bad for 40 year old units...

I was referring to the appearance of the unit, not its longevity.  The GP15, both the Dash Ones and the T's, have enjoyed a good span of service.

Date: 10/25/16 22:56
Author: ble692

UPY 554, ex-CNW 4410, is still stored serviceable at Grand Junction, CO.

​And for the heck of it, UPY 549, ex-CNW 4404, is also stored serviceable at Grand Junction, CO.

Date: 10/26/16 06:15
Author: santafedan

Here is our "GP 15-3 WC" in 1/8 scale.  A little bit of fun.  It is a dash 3 because we did some major work on the used loco we bought.  (New motor, hydro-stat and wheels.) It is a wide cab because we had to widen the cab to fit the new motor.  This winter we are going to replace the hydro-stat and a couple of other things to improve the locomotive's traction issues.  It will become a GP 15-5 WC.

Date: 10/26/16 08:42
Author: wharfrat

My experience with them is the traction control and wheel slip are terrible. You can have three axles digging in and and one spinning wildly and the wheel slip wouldn't correct, you have to back all the way off. They are showing up now with computer control on the back wall which either works perfectly or not at all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds