Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where was it?

Date: 12/27/16 07:42
Where was it?
Author: jefflocal

Hi all,
               A friend requested some help in identifying where this photo might have been taken. The 
   writing on the back of the picture says it was taken in Corvallis but there is a lot of doubt about
   that. There's not much to go on other than the building. Any help would be appreciated.

Date: 12/27/16 08:55
Re: Where was it?
Author: TonyJ

I can't say for sure but I believe last March I saw that building near the wye at the yard in Corvallis. That with the fact SP used twelve wheelers on their Oregon branches seems plausible. 

Date: 12/27/16 09:05
Author: bluesman

The only thing wrong with that being Corvallis is the weeds and rock in the forground. Not right probably for that location. But then the picture was shot many years ago.

Date: 12/27/16 11:06
Author: shortlineboss

No headlight?

Mike Root
Madras, OR

Date: 12/27/16 11:16
Author: lynnpowell

Main rod is missing.  On the way to the scrapper?

Date: 12/27/16 13:20
Author: jefflocal

After posting this I learned that the date of this photo was 1937. I also learned that this
    locomotive was leased to Yreka Western in 1937 and 1938. Is it possible it was being
    prepared for transport or that this photo was taken in Montague or on the Yreka Western
    somewhere?

Date: 12/27/16 15:01
Author: wabash2800

There is another loco behind it, which makes it seem the locos were in storage. The building looks like a big freight house.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/16 16:19 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/02/17 18:19
Author: TonyJ

I receieved a PM on Trainorders from Scott Pirie. He told me Tom Dill thinks it was a Bayshore. Up until now I never considered that possibility, but with Tom's reply I looked at an enlarged aerial Bayshore photo four feet above my computer and it shows that building. If the answer was any closer to me it would have hit me on the head.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds