Home Open Account Help 196 users online

Nostalgia & History > One Day While Bumming Around Pennsylvania I Came Upon ...

Date: 01/07/17 23:39
One Day While Bumming Around Pennsylvania I Came Upon ...
Author: MartyBernard

... Lancaster Depot.  I had never been inside it.  So ...

2. The waiting room is upstairs.  I'm looking towards those large windows in the front (Photo 1).

3. Turning around you see the concourse above the tracks.

4. And looking out a concourse window to the east I spot this thing.  It says Catenary Maintenance on the side.  For you old interurban guys, it's a line car.  I know it doesn't look like a line car, and it is not make out of wood so you can't get zapped, but it's a line car.

That was a nice way to spent 15 minutes on June 8, 2012.

Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 09:18 by MartyBernard.

Date: 01/07/17 23:40
Re: One Day While Bumming Around Pennsylvania I Came Upon ...
Author: MartyBernard

Date: 01/08/17 11:46
Author: knotch8

Nice photos, Marty.  Thanks for taking and posting them.

The key to the Catenary Maintenance Vehicle is that it's self-propelled, so you don't need a locomotive assigned to it, along with the periodic maintenance. And, most importantly to the Engineering Department, you don't need an Engineer and a Conductor.  The vehicle, as with other on-track maintenance vehicles, moves under an Operator's qualifications.

Date: 01/08/17 14:55
Author: hazegray

Lancaster -- in the heart of the PA Amish country -- has always had one of the cleanest, best maintained stations on the old PRR Main Line.... reflecting, I guess, the hard-working, industrious farmers that live nearby!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds