Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Westbound Canadian, Kicking Horse Pass, 1982

Date: 01/09/17 23:21
A Westbound Canadian, Kicking Horse Pass, 1982
Author: MartyBernard

Roger Puta took this interesting 4-photo sequence of CP 1406, VIA 1965, and VIA 1423 with a westbound Canadian in May 1982.

Train Orders member cp1400 wrote this caption for the sequence, "The Canadian is between Yoho and Cathedral on CP's big hill from Kicking Horse Pass to Field. The train is entering the lower spiral tunnel and will loop to the right and come out underneath this track about where the pile of white rocks are that are seen to the left of the train. Sadly this view is no longer possible because the trees have grown to the point you can hardly see the track."

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/17 23:27 by MartyBernard.

Date: 01/09/17 23:21
Re: A Westbound Canadian, Kicking Horse Pass, 1982

Date: 01/09/17 23:35
Author: gobbl3gook

Roger was Living the Good Life that day.  

As always, thanks for sharing and scanning.  Your Roger Puta series is the main reason I log on to Trainorders.com these days.  

Ted in OR
TO poster since 1998.  

Date: 01/10/17 01:40
Author: mp51w

Is that a 24 duplex roomette sleeper?  I wonder what happened to those cars?

Date: 01/10/17 01:50

There is a lot more to come Ted.

Marty

Date: 01/10/17 05:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

gobbl3gook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger was Living the Good Life that day.  
>
> As always, thanks for sharing and scanning.  Your
> Roger Puta series is the main reason I log on to
> Trainorders.com these days.  
>
> Ted in OR
> TO poster since 1998.

Ditto that.  I'm really enjoying the Roger Puta series too!

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 01/11/17 11:07
Author: eminence_grise

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that a 24 duplex roomette sleeper?  I wonder
> what happened to those cars?

One day, one of Via's ex-Milwaukee sleepers was slightly damaged passing through a curved tunnel in the Kicking Horse canyon east of Golden BC on the CP route.

​The grab irons on the side of the car were bent.  This caused Via to measure much of their equipment and restrict it from service west of Calgary, including the "I" class all roomette sleepers.

​Notably, the ex-Milwaukee super domes were not to be used.  Oddly enough, when the AAR ran a business car train over the CP in 1988 to inspect the new line over Rogers Pass, a super dome was in the consist and had no problem navigating the curved tunnel in the Kicking Horse canyon.

​A carman speculated that the Milwaukee sleeper may have had suspension issues which caused excessive sway causing the collision with the tunnel wall. It was being used as a crew sleeper.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds