Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Nostalgia & History > Wrecked ATSF CF7 2432 at Cleburne,Tx -- Jan 78

Date: 01/18/17 09:02
Wrecked ATSF CF7 2432 at Cleburne,Tx -- Jan 78
Author: gcm

2432 at the Santa Fe Cleburne shops needs a little work done on it.
Work was done on it - Santa Fe rebuilt it.
Gary

Date: 01/18/17 11:23
Re: Wrecked ATSF CF7 2432 at Cleburne,Tx -- Jan 78
Author: australianterrier

It was repaired but was cut up in 2009 or so. NS wouldn't interchange the unit so it became scrap.

Jim

Date: 01/18/17 11:43
Author: retcsxcfm

Too bad that the shop has closed and most of the buildings are gone.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 01/18/17 11:53
Author: atsffan

Interesting. I always understood that "bent frame" was the kiss of death, right to the scrap line.

Impressive that the shop forces were able to somehow salvage it. Might the Cleburne people have kept a spare F7 frame or two around at the end of the rebuild program?

Date: 01/18/17 13:06
Author: trainjunkie

F7s didn't have a frame in the traditional sense. The "fishbelly" frame on the CF7s was constructed by Cleburne shop forces to compensate for the loss of structural integrity when the F-unit carbody was eliminated. F-units are kind of like a unibody car where the body provides the structural support for the machinery. It probably wasn't too difficult for Cleburne to make a new one since that is where they came from.

Date: 01/18/17 19:21
Author: SCKP187

That really compressed--I'm surprised it was salvageable.
Brian Stevens

Date: 01/18/17 20:40
Author: DNRY122

When I worked in San Bernardino in 1969-70, one of the shop workers showed me the frame straighening track.  On either side of the track (in the east bay of the back shop, near the north wall) there were steel rods of about 2" diameter bent into upside down U shapes and set in a massive concrete block extending well below grade level.  The kinked frame would be secured with heavy chains at the high points, very large hydraulic jacks would be placed at the low spots and many tons of force would be applied.  I never saw this setup in action, but it must have been quite impressive.  The shops are long gone, and the site is now an intermodal yard.  One wonders whether the demolition crew included this structure in the leveling of the shop buildings, or just said, "No way!" and covered it up.

Date: 01/19/17 00:13
Author: SWChief

My first thought was "No big deal.That'll just buff right out."

Date: 01/19/17 03:18
Author: mp51w

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad that the shop has closed and most of the
> buildings are gone.
>
> Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.
I did a couple of grab shots from the Northbound Texas Eagle in November..
There is still a rail presence there, and quite a bit of the facility is intact, unlike San Bernandino.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds