Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another CNW Where Is It

Date: 01/20/17 00:23
Another CNW Where Is It
Author: MartyBernard

Could this RS-11 have been in Escanaba, MI too?

Marty

Date: 01/20/17 09:12
Re: Another CNW Where Is It
Author: exprail

It looks like it.

exprail

Date: 01/20/17 09:25
Author: ns2557

exprail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like it.
>
> exprail

Not sure of location, but a one of a kind on CNW. The only RS11.  it was the only RS11 on the ol SOU as their 11 also, but was owned by the Carolina North Western. Ben

Date: 01/20/17 10:19
Author: BRAtkinson

The lack of trees and what appears to be rolling hills on the far left of the picture makes me inclined to say it's North or South Dakota somewhere.

Date: 01/20/17 11:54
Author: callum_out

That angle in Escanaba would be looking out toward the water, that locomotive would be more likely out of
Huron (zero mountains) or as stated up in Wyoming. Size of terminal says, Wyoming.

Out

Date: 01/20/17 12:30

I have found no photos Roger took in Wyoming that month but many in WI and some in MI.

Marty

Date: 01/20/17 12:47
Author: callum_out

Interesting, there's no abundance of trees and the hills are too far away for any of the UP terminals. I won't say "can't be"
because people keep posting angles of places which totally throw me off!

Out

Date: 01/20/17 16:49
Author: SR2

The 4251 was used on the "Alco Line" from Winona to Rapid City, Belle Fourche, and Lander, WY.
My guess on date .... late 1970s.

Date: 01/20/17 17:17
Author: CNW

Is there a date on the slide?  The 251-engined Alcos from Huron were moved to Wisconsin and Upper Michigan in the Spring of 1981.  The 4251 was in that group.

Dennis

Date: 01/20/17 18:08

July 1982.  Sorry I didn't include it.

Marty

Date: 07/06/22 06:28
Author: digitalfreight

Again just for the record, by June of 1981 the 4251 was in Escanaba, the last date I see evidence of it in MN is March of 1981 in Waseca .  This photo is near the derelict concrete sanding tower in Escanaba.  The piles of dirt you see on the left are sand hills which are all that remains from some of the large wooden ore docks that were constructed there.  The sand obscures the view of the Lake Michigan bay.

Mike in GR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds