Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1967: Take a ride on the Reading

Date: 02/17/17 09:19
1967: Take a ride on the Reading
Author: bandob

I don't remember collecting $200 for passing GO, but as part of a summer weekend trip to Philadelphia I did take a ride out to Conshohocken and back, just so I could say I rode the Reading.

What I did not realize was that Reading Silverliners had no lavatories, nor was the Conshohocken station open. I was most uncomfortable by the time we got back to Reading Terminal.

B&OBill

Date: 02/17/17 09:22
Re: 1967: Take a ride on the Reading
Author: march_hare

If you wanted batrhrooms, you should have ridden the B&O or the "Short Line" (PRSL) Budd cars.  Wouldn't have required passing anything. 

Oh, uhh, I guess you would end up passing SOMETHING.

Date: 02/17/17 12:40
Re: 1967: Take a ride on the Reading
Author: knotch8

Looks like the Conshohocken station building and platform canopies disappeared sometime between 1965 and 1971.  SEPTA has a trailer there now, with an agent.  I believe there's a bathroom in the trailer.  I think that SEPTA wants to build a new station there with high-level platforms.  I wonder if they plan to move it to the straight track east of the present location.  It's tough to have high-level platforms on a sharp curve like that.

Here's what it looks like today.  https://goo.gl/maps/5tysz74Dp2n 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds