Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Nostalgia & History > few from '77 "extras" box . . .

Date: 02/18/17 06:06
few from '77 "extras" box . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   three from this twenty eight year olds solo summer '77 cross country marathon drive that were not worthy of tray status at the time due to exposure issues. As the famous LA area "Roller Derby" announcer Dick Lane used to say, "woooo nellie".
​top: Under less than ideal shooting conditions Rock Island's eastbound "Quad Cities Rocket" makes it's Bureau, IL, station stop.
​middle: A single CNW -2 leads a westbound runthrough train on GTW at South Bend, IN.
​bottom: A Frisco train was departing Springfield, MO.
​JB

Date: 02/18/17 06:12
Re: few from '77 "extras" box . . .
Author: bandob

Nice shots, thanks or posting.

B&OB

Date: 02/18/17 06:43
Author: LocoPilot750

I like #3. When I started engine service on the Santa Fe, they still had lots of old GE's. I loved to listen to that slow rumbling John Deere bark while they idled. At a distance, you couldn't hear the rumbling so much, just the barking, coughing sound. And I always thought it felt weird for the whole unit to vibrate/shake up and down while idling.

Date: 02/18/17 08:28
Author: ironmtn

LocoPilot750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like #3. When I started engine service on the
> Santa Fe, they still had lots of old GE's. I loved
> to listen to that slow rumbling John Deere bark
> while they idled. At a distance, you couldn't hear
> the rumbling so much, just the barking,
> coughing sound. And I always thought it felt
> weird for the whole unit to vibrate/shake up and
> down while idling.

Great set. Third one does it for me, too, Frisco boy that I am. And I'm with DrLoco on those old GE's, and for the same exact reasons. I'd listen to that rumble and cough show, and even see the whole unit vibrate and rattle, and just found it interesting and colorful. But that's just as a railfan -- what do I know? I think he's the first hogger I've ever heard express any positive thoughts about all of that behavior. The sentiments I've heard are generally so derisive that they have no place on a family website. About the best I ever heard was a grumbling, "Well, yeah, they pull well. But....". And then another cycle of invective.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 02/18/17 09:02
Author: RodneyZona

NIce shots!  Top Photo: Old Rock Island Lines T&E crews, based out of Blue Island, IL worked between Chicago and Rock Island, IL

Date: 02/18/17 11:54
Author: CNW8531

They all look good to me!  

Date: 02/18/17 13:08
Author: Ritzville

Very enjoyable shots!!

Larry

Date: 02/19/17 03:48
Author: kgmontreal

Thumbs up for the Frisco U25B shot.

KG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds