Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Nostalgia & History > An SP Freight Well Above Donner Lake, Roger Puta Style

Date: 02/24/17 20:47
An SP Freight Well Above Donner Lake, Roger Puta Style
Author: MartyBernard

Roger took these in August 1980.

1. Overview of Donner Lake looking east.  The Truckee Amtrak Station is about 2 miles beyond the far end of the lake.  The SP tracks are to the right. 

2. Roger turned his camera to the right and captured SP 9381 in a gap between tunnels and snow sheds. 

3 and 4.  Normal and telephoto lens shots of SP 9318's noise peeking out of a shed.

5. The end of his sequence is the end of the train with a UP run through caboose and a helper.

Enjoy Roger's sequence,
Marty Bernard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/17 21:01 by MartyBernard.

Date: 02/24/17 20:49
Re: An SP Freight Well Above Donner Lake, Roger Puta Style
Author: MartyBernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/17 20:50 by MartyBernard.

Date: 02/24/17 20:59
Author: DynamicBrake

WOW!  This series is a keeper Marty, thanks a bunch for sharing.  That last shot sure has a lot of history.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 02/25/17 03:31
Author: BoilingMan

Very nice!   Roger was shooting from the old Lincoln Highway, if you look closely you can just make out the so-called "Rainbow Bridge" silhouetted in the shadows on the far left of photo 1.  (actually there were several variations of the Lincoln here at the summit, but this was the one that got paved and survived to become US 40)   Truckee is in the far distance beyond Donner Lake.  The site where the Donner Party did (and didn't) survive being pinned down for the winter is at the far end of the lake as shown.  It's a picnic ground now. Oh, the irony! (IK,IK- that was uncalled for)
The WB train is on Track 1 (gone now) and is passing over the famous China Wall between Tunnels 8 and 7, 7 being the one with the unusual concrete hump in it.  Just ahead is Tunnel 6 that crosses the Summit of Donner. (I think/hope I got those tunnel numbers right!)
Again- nice shoots!
SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/17 03:45 by BoilingMan.

Date: 02/25/17 10:43
Author: WAF

Back in the days they used the Number One track between Shed 47 and Norden

Date: 02/25/17 12:43
Author: chakk

Road Amtrak's Superliner-equipped  California Zephyr ONCE over the old route (and not thru the Big Hole) before the line was closed down.  Glad that I caught what I would call "rare mileage".

Date: 06/23/17 14:38
Author: Matt_Gidley

Wow - these are fan-freaking-tastic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds