Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: Beauty in a roster!

Date: 03/22/17 09:00
WAG Wednesday: Beauty in a roster!
Author: santafe199

I’m a railfan who came along in life just as steam locomotion in the United States was on its death bed. Although I recall a RR scene or 2 from my pre-kindergarten age I have absolutely no visual memory of steam power of any kind in regular service. Other than being able to get a passing grade in use of the Whyte System of wheel arrangement & identification I could never participate in a conversation about technical aspects of any given steam locomotive class. About all I can really offer is whether or not I like the looks of a given steamer put before me.

I chose this image for this week’s WAG because it was a great roster shot, something Bill Gibson was very talented at. Perfect sunlight, uncoupled with the rods in the down position. Another WAG Sr classic! As I was working the image through the routine Photoshop dress-up I began to look closer at the engine’s physical attributes. Nice lines. Not too cluttered with hardware. Attractive matching tender. Even the semi-rare double headlight has a sort of odd appeal. Good grief, this old gal is some kind of a good looking steamer! While I can easily agree with the decades old consensus about the NKP Berk, the NYC Hudson & the Santa Fe Northern being among some of the more attractive steam locomotives ever produced (just to name a few), I’d have to say this B&O Mountain could give those others a serious challenge in good looks department...

1. B&O 4-8-2 713 sits in perfect roster shot orientation in Chicago, IL on October 27, 1957.
Photo by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/22 04:35 by santafe199.

Date: 03/22/17 09:05
Re: WAG Wednesday: Beauty in a roster!
Author: Englewood

Beautiful.   
Barr Yard ??

Date: 03/22/17 09:14

Englewood Wrote: > ...  Barr Yard ??

I dug out Bill's slide and can confirm this is indeed Barr Yard. Bill also indicates this engine has been re-numbered from #5571...

Lance/199

Date: 03/22/17 10:06
Author: CPR_4000

The handsome B&O T-3's were built at Mount Clare shops using Mikado and Pacific boilers, IIRC. In the early 50's B&O renumbered steam into 3-digit series to make room for the increasing numbers of diesels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 10:09 by CPR_4000.

Date: 03/22/17 13:26
Author: nycman

I agree, Lance, a truly beautiful steam locomotive.  Wish more were operating today.

Date: 03/22/17 13:44
Author: ClubCar

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree, Lance, a truly beautiful steam
> locomotive.  Wish more were operating today.
​There are quite a few engines running today, mostly on short lines and some regionals; however it's becoming more difficult all the time to do this because of the expense of steam in general, especially the overhaul of a large steam engine like this 4-8-2 "Mountain" and the insurance costs.
John

Date: 03/22/17 14:26
Author: NKP715

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m a railfan who came along in life just as
> steam locomotion in the United States was on its
> death bed.

​That's OK; you post great photos, so we'll forgive you
​for being a snot-nosed-kid. 

​I'll have to do a little research; some B&O 4-8-2's were
​ex B&M, IIRC.  Great photo !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/17 14:52 by NKP715.

Date: 03/22/17 14:48
Author: gcm

Lance - beautiful engine and scan.
Thanks to Mr.Gibson for the wonderful shot.
​Gary

Date: 03/22/17 15:04

NKP715 Wrote:  > ... we'll forgive you ​for being a snot-nosed-kid ...
(chuckling) At 61 I ain't got much snot left. But I'd sure load up on the stuff if I could go back about 4 decades...

;^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds