Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Nostalgia & History > EMD GP5

Date: 03/24/17 21:54
EMD GP5
Author: Railbaron

As I was scanning some early BN slides I came across this photo of what I thought was a boring GP7 that had received a chopped nose. Out of curiosity though I did some research and found I had actually photographed one of a rare group of units, with this being the only one to receive a low nose, a GP5. While not normally a "roster shot" person I was glad I did it for this unit that I found in Superior, Wisconsin, in May 1979.

Although EMD never actually offered a GP5 in their catalogue a handful were "built" on behalf of Great Northern. From what I found evidently the Great Northern had some FT units that they decided to have rebuilt into road switcher type units. The base for these units were the FT units which sported 1350 HP so when the units emerged they came out as a GP style unit but only 1350 HP, 150 HP less than the GP7. While EMD never officially called them GP5 units Great Northern listed them with that classification on their books. (Corrections to any of this is very welcome.)

​While many here might not be interested in roster shots or the "nuts and bolts" of a unit I found this history interesting enough that I posted it here; kind of a precursor to Santa Fe's CF7 program.

--------------------------------------- 

Update: Photo(s) deleted because there are thieves on Trainorders who download and then use other peoples' photos in books, or simply print and sell the prints, for their own enrichment!!! I don't mind downloading them for your personal enjoyment but I draw the line at selling them or publishing them and claiming they are yours. Sorry I have to do this but the actions of a few screw it up for all.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/20 12:00 by Railbaron.

Date: 03/25/17 07:23
Re: EMD GP5
Author: Tominde

Neat story.  What year did they do the "rebuild"?

Date: 03/25/17 07:35
Author: Railbaron

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat story.  What year did they do the "rebuild"?

​From what I found it appears the rebuild program occurred in the 1958-1959 time period.

Date: 03/25/17 07:42
Author: MartyBernard

Of course it's interesting.  Thanks.  

Marty Bernard

Date: 03/25/17 07:52
Author: Dilworth

great shot i shot every bn gp5 over time

Date: 03/25/17 10:10
Author: CPR_4000

I think that these units used the FT generators (and probably traction motors?), which limited the hp rating. Hotwater would probably know.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds