Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > "Cat Ballou" train scenes questions

Date: 03/26/17 06:52
"Cat Ballou" train scenes questions
Author: Copy19

Where were the train scenes filmed for the movie "Cat Ballou"?   Looks like Colorado.  What river beside train?  The engine looks like a "Great Western"  -that also was in "Breakheart Pass".

JBOmaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 06:54 by Copy19.

Date: 03/26/17 07:02
Re: "Cat Ballou" train scenes questions
Author: RailRat

How about the Disney movie I saw as a kid, I cant seem to find aywhere called "Chartrouse Caboose"??..But I also Remember Cat Ballou too!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 07:06 by RailRat.

Date: 03/26/17 07:56
Author: elueck

It is indeed Great Western 75 that was in Breakheart Pass.   If my recollection is correct, they filmed it above the Royal Gorge on the D&RGW  Tennessee Pass Line, proabably around the Texas Creek area, with the river being the Arkansas.

Date: 03/26/17 08:21
Author: Txhighballer

elueck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is indeed Great Western 75 that was in
> Breakheart Pass.   If my recollection is correct,
> they filmed it above the Royal Gorge on the D&RGW
>  Tennessee Pass Line, proabably around the Texas
> Creek area, with the river being the Arkansas.

It was actually GW 51, not 75, although they are very similiar in looks. You are correct in saying GW 75 was in Breakheart Pass. In Cat Ballou you can actually see "51" on the cab side.

Date: 03/26/17 08:32
Author: The_Chief_Way

Cat Ballou- DRGW along the Arkansas River
Breakhart Pass - Camas Prairie in Idaho

just to clarify

Date: 03/26/17 09:37
Author: rfd275

The scenes were filmed on the Rio Grande Railroad Royal Gorge Route at Texas Creek, Colorado.

Date: 03/26/17 09:43
Author: TonyJ

RailRat Wrote:
> How about the Disney movie I saw as a kid, I cant
> seem to find aywhere called "Chartrouse
> Caboose"??..But I also Remember Cat Ballou too!

It was filmed on SP's Wendling (Marcola) Branch. The scene with the Espee 70-tonner crossing the bridge involved a conductor friend of mine. That bridge still stands today, although that part of the branch was pulled a couple of desades  go.

Date: 03/26/17 09:46
Author: Copy19

Ok, thanks.  I thought the cars looked familiar as well.

So here's another question:  In the 1942 black & white movie "The Spoilers" with John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich and Randolph Scott there is a scene where Wayne crashes what appears to be be a narrow gauge steam engine through a wood barrier.  The track looks temporary as if it was set up on a backlot for the scene.  I think the engine had a diamond stack.  Not bad looking for a movie locomotive.  Any info on the train?

JBOmaha

Date: 03/26/17 12:48
Author: WoodwardEJ

Per Larry Jensen's book The Movie Railroads, the 1942 version of The Spoilers was shot in the Universal Studios back lot, as well as  in Tujunga Canyon, where the studio laid a special stretch of track and built an Alaska mining camp set.  Locomotive was Nevada County Narrow Gauge #5, lettered "Nome Mining Company".  #5 was also used in the 1956 remake of The Spoilers.

Date: 03/26/17 13:47
Author: agentatascadero

Might just be me, but among the things I like about railroad movies are "bedroom" scenes, typically shown in an open section.  So, the romp scene in Cat Ballou is a favorite, as is the scene in Some Like It Hot, comedic, but very cool.  Then there is perhaps my favorite romantic scene on a train in North by Northwest.
    If any of the membership has never met a girl aboard a train........well,  words don't really describe what you're missing.
AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 03/26/17 15:44
Author: johnw

RailRat Wrote:
> How about the Disney movie I saw as a kid, I cant
> seem to find aywhere called "Chartrouse
> Caboose"??..But I also Remember Cat Ballou too!

There's a good reason why you can't find "Chartroose Caboose"! According to IMDB (Internet Movie DataBase) the color negative was lost in a vault fire and only a black and white print exists in the hands of a private collector. It shows available on YouTube (and in 4K & HD too!) but that appears to be a scam, inviting you on go to an external website...and probably get your computer infected by malware instead! I remember seeing it in an Army post movie theater in Korea when it first came out in 1960. It's not really a Disney film but an independent production picked by by Universal for distribution.

Date: 03/26/17 16:32
Author: Lackawanna484

For "The Spoilers" credits incude "the Yukon" and "Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino National Forest" and the Universal lot

Date: 03/27/17 06:37
Author: twin_star_rocket

Date: 03/27/17 21:22
Author: gobbl3gook

I came across this, it has a few more anecdotes.  
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,699929

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1417 seconds