Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1975: A trip around Horseshoe Curve

Date: 03/29/17 13:15
1975: A trip around Horseshoe Curve
Author: bandob

Continuing with my plan to show my photos this year in chronological order:

In the Fall of 1975, the Lancaster Chapter, NRHS sponsored a trip from there to Horseshoe Curve, with stops in Elizabethtown and Harrisburg. We boarded at Elizabethtown.

Here's photos as the train arrived behind two GG1's, and the engine change at Harrisburg.

B&OBill

Date: 03/29/17 13:18
Re: 1975: A trip around Horseshoe Curve
Author: bandob

Two SDP40-F's handled the train west of Harrisburg. Rain and fog all day. Two trips were made around the curve, so all of us made one trip on the train and then were bussed to the curve to see the other trip.  I think I was bussed first, and the K4 shot is from the train on the second run.

B&OBill

Date: 03/29/17 15:56
Author: King_Coal

Those SDP40s really take me back. Were those the first new equipment for Amtrak? At the time, mostly Amtrak was red-white-blue paint, signs and maybe new employee uniforms. SDPs were something different. Thanks for posting.

Date: 03/29/17 16:04
Author: rdg902

Great memories... I rode so many of those Lancaster NRHS excursions in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Date: 03/29/17 16:08
Author: HotWater

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those SDP40s really take me back.

To be correct, they are SDP40F units, as the SDP40 was a completely different unit.

Were those the
> first new equipment for Amtrak?

Yes, 

At the time,
> mostly Amtrak was red-white-blue paint, signs and
> maybe new employee uniforms. SDPs were something
> different. Thanks for posting.

Date: 03/29/17 18:28
Author: RuleG

Thanks for posting these photos.

This excursion provided an opportunity for train riders to go around the Horseshoe Curve during the daylight hours. Amtrak's Broadway Limited and National Limited went around the Horseshoe Curve.  However, in 1975, for much of the year, only the eastbound National Limited was scheduled to do so in daylight. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds