Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Couple of SP's Humble H12-44's

Date: 04/29/17 06:43
A Couple of SP's Humble H12-44's
Author: drumwrencher

I hope you enjoy yet another look back at an SP that used to be an everyday thing.

1: SP's FM H-12-44 2393 working near 3rd and Townsend, San Francisco, circa 1970. Interesting light package. Like my friend Tonyj says, "SP never saw a light package they didn't like." Have to agree, Tony.

2: SP 2364 at Bayshore roundhouse, not far from a big brother Train Master, say stall 20 or so. I can't help but notice what appears to be a shark skin glove on her front step. Still have dad's shark gloves, tho years of dipping them in carb tanks has taken it's toll...

3: SP 2354, location unknown, probably not far from it's SF home base.

Enjoy.

Walter
Sanfranciscotrains.org
Facebook - San Francisco Trains

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/17 06:48 by drumwrencher.

Date: 04/29/17 08:05
Re: A Couple of SP's Humble H12-44's
Author: BoilingMan

Ain't it the truth- I used to see those F-M's around and never gave them a second thought...
SR

Date: 04/29/17 09:34
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting these FM's. These look different than the FM switchers the N&W used in my area. The SP lights and lack of back-of-cab handrails which went up to the roof give these a different look than the ex-NKP FM switchers I normally saw.
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/17 09:35 by refarkas.

Date: 04/29/17 12:20

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ain't it the truth- I used to see those F-M's
> around and never gave them a second thought...
> SR

I never paid much attention either, other than the usual "watchin' a train" thing. Funny, I have many clear memories of Train Masters, the sound (and sometimes the smoke), but I can't say for sure I even remember what these sounded like - I mean, I know they were FM's (smaller?)opposed piston monster, but, well, an explicit H-12? Nope... Perhaps it's lucky for us they have one, albeit a "fake" SP, out in Niles Canyon. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm off, but IIRC, it's one number higher than the last SP H-12. And, again, IIRC, the numbers before the 1965 renumbering... Yup. Too much info overload...

Thanks, SR.

Walter

Date: 04/29/17 12:22

refarkas Wrote:
> Thanks for posting these FM's. These look
> different than the FM switchers the N&W used in my
> area. The SP lights and lack of back-of-cab
> handrails which went up to the roof give these a
> different look than the ex-NKP FM switchers I
> normally saw.
> Bob

My pleasure, Bob. You made me notice a small detail I had forgotten, well, decades ago. The car body handrails are different... not that it really ever mattered... the 2393 had outboard rails, and the 2354 had them right up against the body. As you have indicated, Nickel Plate had their own handrails, and one time when I was out to CSRM, they still had a former Santa Fe FM with a steam-type cab over-hang - I was told it was a Raymond Lowey design, but I don't know first hand. Again, perhaps too much info overload, but what the heck...

Walter

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/17 19:20 by drumwrencher.

Date: 04/29/17 12:49
Author: Railbaron

drumwrencher Wrote:
> My pleasure, Bob. You made me notice a small detail I had forgotten, well, decades ago. ...

The shot of the 2364 really shocked me as I saw something I had never noticed before. On that unit there appears to be MU hose connections and a cable receptacle but I didn't think these units were MU-able with anything. It also has a drop platform; I don't remember one of these on any of the other FM switchers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/17 12:51 by Railbaron.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0723 seconds