Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN stripes dun rong!

Date: 04/29/17 12:07
BN stripes dun rong!
Author: highgreengraphics

A westbound coal empty with an eclectic coal consist never to be repeated pulls through Rozet, WY, east of Gillette and Donkey Creek, led by a BN C-Boat with decidedly wrong nose striping, on May 23, 1987. There was a stylized EMD advertisement illustration featuring BN SD's that pictured the nose stripe angle wrong just like this, perhaps this is what the painter or masker followed when repainting this one. This was back when it was certainly thought that coal traffic would expand forever, another headlight is visible right behind in the distance, remember those heady days? === === = === JLH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/17 12:31 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 04/29/17 12:08
Re: BN stripes dun rong!
Author: CPR_4000

Looks like they used a 30-60-90 triangle to lay it out instead of a 45!

Date: 04/29/17 13:45
Author: GPutz

Unique, indeed. Gerry

Date: 04/29/17 14:37
Author: kgmontreal

Special, to be sure.

KG

Date: 04/29/17 15:17
Author: FT

I don't have any shots in my collection, but I have seen a few of the early Frisco repaints done at Springfield, MO, with the
strips going the "wrong" way. They looked neatly done, just reversed. I have never heard of this version shown here. Wish I had
a slide of it and the Frisco ones.

ft

Date: 04/29/17 21:08
Author: dgraves

Anyone know how long it stayed that way? BTW: when Athearn first launched the GP 38-2 in 1985, the had a BN version on their ad with strips going the wrong way.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/17 22:22
Author: highgreengraphics

I don't think this lasted very long. There are photos of this unit on the net just a couple years later that show the stripes repainted again, and already looking dirty. It seems that somebody else noticed the difference, too!

Date: 04/30/17 06:59
Author: march_hare

To be honest, I like this version better. 

Great lashup. 

Date: 04/30/17 19:31
Author: Gateway97

Funny, to me the angle of those stripes makes the nose look taller.

Date: 04/30/17 20:39
Author: bnsfsd70

That's one heck of a consist!

- Jeff Carlson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds