Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Nostalgia & History > Motorcar'n Up the NWP (Part 12 of 13)

Date: 04/30/17 17:52
Motorcar'n Up the NWP (Part 12 of 13)
Author: BoilingMan

Continued...
SR

Photo 1.  I think this was the end of the line for us- as far (RR) East as we got.  Samoa.  We tied up there for lunch, and lively debate as to the precise definition of a Rule G violation, at The Smokehouse.  (You didn't think we'd miss that, did you?!)
Photo 2.  Back through Eureka...
Photo 3.  and past the stranded Humboldt Daylight (or whatever it was called)  I count 3 Shasta Daylight chairs, a Shasta Daylight tavern/ chair conversion, and a diner (whose?).  I heard these cars were rescued by trucking them out- is that true?   Someone must have the details of their fate.

Date: 04/30/17 20:29
Re: Motorcar'n Up the NWP (Part 12 of 13)
Author: JDLX

The passenger cars were from the North Coast Daylight...the following site has a section on roster information on the cars this operation used, you will have to scroll down a bit to find it:

http://espee.railfan.net/1984_lsfd.html

The disposition information on this site is dated.

The North Coast Daylight only operated full Willits to Eureka trips in 1985, part of 1987, and 1988. Eureka Southern purchased the passenger cars from Great Western in early 1987, and operated the passenger service themselves in those two years. The road ran no passenger trains in 1989-1990, then started occasional Eureka to Fort Seward trips in 1991. North Coast Railroad Authority acquired the cars when their North Coast Railroad took over in 1992, they continued those runs a few weekends a year until sometime in very late 1994, I think the flood damage incurred in the winter of 1994-1995 may have ended the service south of Eureka. The railroad did operate Christmas trains around Humboldt Bay up until 1996 and maybe 1997, right before the end came in 1998. The end of full through operations in the first days of 1998 found the car fleet scattered along the railroad, those cars trapped on the north end were eventually moved to Scotia, they sat near the south end of the PALCo mill for years before NCRA finally sold them, a few were scrapped on the spot but a couple were trucked out. I think there is one in Willits, might have been in a fire recently? Then at least a couple more down at Healdsburg, I think those were sold to Napa Valley Wine Train and trucked over to it sometime last fall.

Thanks again for the on-going thread, I appreciate it a lot.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 04/30/17 23:06
Author: SN711

There are a couple daylight painted passenger cars over near the NVRR shops in Napa.

gary

Date: 05/01/17 23:50
Author: Rainier_Rails

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo 3.
> And past the stranded Humboldt Daylight (or whatever it was called).
> I count 3 Shasta Daylight chairs, a Shasta Daylight tavern/chair conversion, and a diner (whose?).
> I heard these cars were rescued by trucking them out- is that true?
> Someone must have the details of their fate.

JDLX Wrote:
> The end of full through operations in the first days of 1998 found the car fleet scattered along the railroad,
> those cars trapped on the north end were eventually moved to Scotia,
> they sat near the south end of the PALCo mill for years before NCRA finally sold them,
> a few were scrapped on the spot but a couple were trucked out.
> I think there is one in Willits, might have been in a fire recently?
> Then at least a couple more down at Healdsburg,
> I think those were sold to Napa Valley Wine Train and trucked over to it sometime last fall.

SN711 Wrote:
> There are a couple daylight painted passenger cars over near the NVRR shops in Napa.

Here's a list of the cars used on the North Coast Daylight excursions:

SP 48 seat leg rest chair #2355 (P-S, Lot #6940, Plan #7571B, 1954, Shasta Daylight), sold in 1971 to Amtrak as #4842, retired in 1981 and sold in 1982 to a Mr. Gonzales (first name unknown), later resold at an unknown date to the Sierra Western Rail Corporation as #542 and named Sonoma, stored at the Pacific Lumber Company in Scotia, sold to Jon Clark in 2011, moved by truck to Napa, listed for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar's website in 2013. I don't know if this car received Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP Raymond Loewy Two-Tone Green paint scheme, but it was in Daylight paint by the time it was used in the consist of the SP #4449-powered World's Fair Daylight from Portland to New Orleans and back in 1984.

SP 48 seat leg rest chair #2358 (P-S, Lot #6940, Plan #7571B, 1954, Shasta Daylight), sold in 1971 to Amtrak as #4844, retired at an unknown date and sold in 1983 to Sierra Western as #544 and named Mendocino, stored at the Pacific Lumber Co., sold to Jon Clark in 2011, moved by truck to Napa, listed for sale on Ozark Mountain website in 2013. I don't know if this car received Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP paint scheme, but it was in Daylight paint by the time it was used in the consist of the SP #4449-powered World's Fair Daylight from Portland to New Orleans and back in 1984.

SP 48 seat leg rest chair #2361 (P-S, Lot #6940, Plan #7571B, 1954, Shasta Daylight), sold in 1971 to Amtrak as #4846, retired at an unknown date and sold in 1983 to Sierra Western as #546 and named Humboldt, stored at the Pacific Lumber Co., sold to Jon Clark in 2011, moved by truck to Napa; Mr. Clark is not listing this car for sale. I don't know if this car received Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP paint scheme, but it was in Daylight paint by the time it was used in the consist of the SP #4449-powered World's Fair Daylight from Portland to New Orleans and back in 1984.

SP 38 seat leg rest chair-crew locker #2385 (P-S, Lot #6805, Plan #7570, 1947, Shasta Daylight), sold in 1973 to Amtrak as #7507, retired in 1976 and subsequently sold to Rail Service Industries (Mira Loma, CA), later resold at an unknown date to a party which I have listed in my notes only as "RRE", later resold at an unknown date to Niel T. Ferguson, reconfigured as a lounge and leased to Sierra Western as #507 and named Shasta, car may have been acquired by Sierra Western at a later unknown date, stored in Willits, damaged by fire sometime in the 2000's (minor damage) and scrapped on site in 2008. This car did receive Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP paint scheme before being repainted to the Daylight scheme for the World's Fair Daylight.

SP 48 seat leg rest chair #2387 (P-S, Lot #6805, Plan #7571, 1949, Shasta Daylight), sold in 1973 to Amtrak as #7508, retired in 1977 and subsequently sold to D.G. Greenmyer (Mojave, CA), later resold at an unknown date to Sierra Western as #508 with no name applied (as far as I know; does anybody know otherwise?), used as a parts source (as far as I know; does anybody know otherwise?), received Daylight paint at an unknown date (I don't know if this car had earlier received the faux-NP scheme), stored in Willits, damaged by fire sometime in the 2000's and scrapped on site in 2008.

SP 48 seat leg rest chair #2392 (P-S, Lot #6805, Plan #7571, 1949, Shasta Daylight), sold in 1973 to Amtrak as #7510, retired in 1977 and subsequently sold to the Sierra Railroad, later resold at an unknown date to Sierra Western as #510 and named Tuolumne, stored in Healdsburg, sold to Jon Clark in 2011, listed for sale on Ozark Mountain website in 2013. This car did receive Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP paint scheme before being repainted to the Daylight scheme for the World's Fair Daylight.

SP 48 seat leg rest chair #2395 (P-S, Lot #6805, Plan #7571A, 1949, Shasta Daylight), seating increased to 52 in 1960, sold in 1973 to Amtrak as #7511, retired in 1976 and subsequently sold to Rail Service Industries, later resold at an unknown date to Sierra Western as #511 and named Stanislaus, stored in Willits, sold to Jon Clark in 2008, moved to City of Commerce, CA; Mr. Clark is not listing this car for sale. This car did receive Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP paint scheme before being repainted to the Daylight scheme for the World's Fair Daylight.

SP 54 seat "Timberline" coffee shop-tavern lounge #10317 (P-S, Lot #6805, Plan #7575, 1949, Shasta Daylight), rebuilt to 86 seat coach #2241 in 1963, sold in 1973 to Amtrak as #7500, retired in 1976 and subsequently sold to Rail Service Industries, later resold at an unknown date to Sierra Western as #500 and named San Joaquin, stored in Willits, damaged by fire sometime in the 2000's and scrapped on site in 2008. This car did receive Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP paint scheme before being repainted to the Daylight scheme for the World's Fair Daylight. This is one of the cars seen above in slide #3 (4th car back).

GN "Ranch Car" 14 seat lunch counter-30 seat lounge #1242 Hidden Lake (AC&F, Lot #3445, 1951, Mid-Century Empire Builder), to BN, sold in 1974 to Amtrak as #8151, lounge section replaced by 34 seat dining section, retired in 1981 and subsequently sold to Great Western Tours, later resold at an unknown date to Sierra Western as #151, stored in Asti, sold at an unknown date to Matt Munson. I don't know if this car received Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP scheme, but it did receive Daylight paint at an unknown date.

GN "Ranch Car" 14 seat lunch counter-30 seat lounge #1245 Whitefish Lake (AC&F, Lot #3445, 1951, Mid-Century Empire Builder), to BN, sold in 1974 to Amtrak as #8153, lounge section replaced by 34 seat dining section, retired in 1981 and subsequently sold to Great Western Tours, later resold at an unknown date to Sierra Western, as far as I know, the car was not used (if so, it was likely instead used as a parts source for the Hidden Lake), nor did it receive either the faux-NP or Daylight schemes, stored in Willits, acquired at an unknown date by the Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits, still in Amtrak Phase I paint.

SLSF 36 seat diner #650 Alexander Doniphan (P-S, Lot #6768, Plan #7540, 1947, Texas Special), sold in 1966 to GN as #1156 Lake Pepin, to BN, stored in 1971 until sold at a later unknown date to Sierra Western as #156 Lake Pepin, stored in Asti, sold to Jon Clark at an unknown date, listed for sale on Ozark Mountain website in 2013. This car did receive Sierra Western's earlier faux-NP paint scheme before being repainted to the Daylight scheme for the World's Fair Daylight. This is one of the cars seen above in slide #3 (2nd car back).

CB&Q 12 seat lunch counter-28 seat diner #455 (P-S, Lot #6765, Plan #7534, 1947, North Coast Limited), seating in dining section increased to 30 at an unknown date, rebuilt in 1954 to 40 seat diner, transferred in 1958 to NP, rebuilt in 1962 to 32 seat diner-11 seat lounge, to BN, leased to Amtrak for a time (likely from 1971 until 1975), stored in 1975 until sold at a later unknown date to Sierra Western as #555 with no name applied (as far as I know; does anybody know otherwise?), stored at an unknown location, sold at an unknown date to Jon Clark; I don't believe that this car has been listed for sale. I don't know if this car received either the faux-NP or Daylight schemes, or how much it was used.

AT&SF full dome lounge #511 (Budd, Lot #9646-129, 1954, 57 chairs and 18 seat lounge in the dome, 28 seat lounge and nurse's room in the lower level), sold in 1971 to Auto Train as #523 and reconfigured to 51 chairs in the dome and 28 seat club lounge in the lower level (remodeling for service on the Auto Train was contracted to Pullman in Lots #R7048-#R7058), sold in 1981 to Dick Reynolds-Great Western Tours, leased to Sierra Western as #523 and named Donner Pass, sold in 1986 to Holland America Westours and renamed Nenana, outshopped in 1987 (received an Amtrak #800xxx-series number at that time, specifically #800124), listed for sale in 2003, sold in 2007 to Iowa Pacific-San Luis & Rio Grande as SLRG #511, renamed Scenic View, painted in IC Chocolate & Orange. This car did receive the earlier faux-NP scheme (only in the windowband and letterboard) and was repainted to the Daylight scheme at an unknown date (again, only in the windowband and letterboard).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.104 seconds