Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > transition coupler and critter - Valley & Siletz

Date: 05/20/17 07:30
transition coupler and critter - Valley & Siletz
Author: colehour

I took the attached photos in Independence, OR, in the summer of 1981. I believe most of the railroad had been abandoned prior to that time.

One of the photos shows a coupler that, I believe, is meant to accept both link-and-pin and knuckle couplers. The other is of what looks to be a home-built loco. There is a YouTube video of the loco in action if you want to search for it.

Date: 05/20/17 10:04
Re: transition coupler and critter - Valley & Siletz
Author: hogheaded

Interesting draft gear mounting and a fabricated, rather than cast, coupler head - was #2 built from a trolley?

EO

Date: 05/20/17 10:20
Author: JDLX

The V&S #2 was a Skagit Steel & Iron Works model 6-60 speeder built in 1926. History of the unit (with acknowledgements to John Taubeneck) is as follows: Built for Carlisle Lumber Company, Onalaska, WA; to Kinzua Pine Mills #7, Kinzua, OR, 1940; to Condon, Kinzua & Southern Railroad #7; to Valley & Siletz Railroad #2, Independence, OR, after the CK&S abandonment; to Dick Samuels, Milwaukee, OR, 1988; to Allen Shurman, Ridgefield, WA, 2000.

I have a couple pictures of this car at Kinzua on my High Desert Rails page at the following link:

http://www.trainweb.org/highdesertrails/cks/CKS7.html

Thanks for taking and posting the photos...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 05/20/17 11:57
Author: valmont

Here's the Kinzua Pine Mills version, I shot this on June 17, 1971.

Date: 05/21/17 16:50
Author: HB90MACH

Look up Valley & Siletz railroad #2 to find it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds