Home Open Account Help 178 users online

Nostalgia & History > Angels Flight

Date: 05/28/17 17:01
Angels Flight
Author: jbrown43

Los Angeles California, August 2012. After a long shutdown but before the latest shutdown.

Date: 05/28/17 18:31
Re: Angels Flight
Author: Ray_Murphy

jbrown43 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Los Angeles California, August 2012. After a long
> shutdown but before the latest shutdown.

What's wrong with it now?

Ray

Date: 05/28/17 21:41
Author: patd3985

From what I heard, they weren't satisfied with the old "tried and true" design of the original one that lasted for decades and decided to "build a better mousetrap". It was so mechanically flawed that it was more dangerous than the old one. I heard it broke loose from a brake problem and became a victim of gravity causing quite a few injuries.

Date: 05/28/17 22:12
Author: JimBaker

From what I understand, the original engineering was a counterbalanced system with a Winding machine pulling both cars together, a very simple arrangement.
More recently, about 10 years, or so, a new system was developed using a separate winding engines for each car.
The two cars met at the center passing track and cleared by about 12"(or less)separation.
You can probably foresee what was going to happen when the cables got out of sync or broke.
-- CRASH!!

Caveat: This my own view of the situation. I have no references.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 05/29/17 00:36
Author: lanewsman

In March, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced that Angels Flight will resume operation on Labor Day, 2017. The Public Utilities Commission has approved a plan to recondition, operate and maintain the funicular for the next 30 years. Angels Flight has not been in operation since it was "temporarily" shut down in 2013. This year Angels Flight will celebrate its 116th birthday.

Date: 05/29/17 19:14
Author: the_expediter

Featured in a Michael Connely book featuring good old Harry Bosch...
Amazon tv series well done too, Season 3 very good...photography & Production values high...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0291 seconds