Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Nostalgia & History > What Train Am I On?

Date: 06/19/17 12:06
What Train Am I On?
Author: callum_out

It has a name, should be dead simple.

Out

Date: 06/19/17 12:13
Re: What Train Am I On?
Author: NYSWSD70M

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It has a name, should be dead simple.
>
> Out

Lone Pine Local?

Date: 06/19/17 12:19
Author: Ironbender

callum_out Wrote:
> It has a name, should be dead simple.
>
> Out

East end of Searles, CA, and, depending on the year, the Lone Pine Local. Not sure what the name/designator became when UP took over.

Date: 06/19/17 13:55
Author: santafedan

Last train to Yuma?

Date: 06/19/17 15:03
Author: MojaveBill

In Mojave, any train on the Jawbone is called The Trona Trolley by folks waiting for to to crawl across Sierra Highway - and occasionally stop...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/19/17 15:35
Author: gonx

Trona Tie Thumper

Date: 06/19/17 16:50

At the time of the shot this was very much the Lone Pine Local and it tied up in Lone Pine
the night of the shot.

Out

Date: 06/19/17 17:51
Author: Railbaron

callum_out Wrote:
> At the time of the shot this was very much the Lone Pine Local and it tied up in Lone Pine
> the night of the shot.
>
> Out

That is a VERY old photo because that looks like the top of the water bottle on top of the water cooler - GP35 or GP40 maybe?

Date: 06/19/17 17:58

It's actually SD39 #5309.

Out

Date: 06/19/17 22:08
Author: NiceHandTick

What kind of motel did they have to stay in Lone Pine?

Date: 06/20/17 01:03
Author: cctwosanberdoo

According to retired SP Conductor M.A. Golson crews stayed at the Dow Villa Motel in Lone Pine, CA, on U.S. 395. The historic Dow Hotel and the Dow Villa Motel was where many of the Hollywood stars stayed while filming movies and television shows in the Owens Valley, the Eastern Sierras, and the Alabama Hills. http://www.dowvillamotel.com/history.html Lone Pine resident Walter Dow established the Dow Hotel in 1920. The Dow Villa Motel section was added in 1957, and enlarged in 1959.

If exploring the historic, late great Southern Pacific, in the Owens Valley, be sure to visit the Laws Railroad Museum northeast of Bishop. https://www.lawsmuseum.org/ Come to the Slim Princess Reunion Sept 22 to 24th at Laws, where SP 2-6-0 No. 18 will be operated under steam. No. 18 was recently restored by the Carson & Colorado https://carsoncolorado.com/

Glen Icanberry
Redlands, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds