Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > Midweek Menu - Yosemite Valley

Date: 06/22/17 04:43
Midweek Menu - Yosemite Valley
Author: njmidland

Due to work commitments I wasn't able to pull together a full "Midweek Menu" this week.

Here is a menu and a dinner check from the Yosemite Valley. I know very little about their dining car operations. I would appreciate any input on the YVRR>

Date: 06/22/17 08:13
Re: Midweek Menu - Yosemite Valley
Author: mcfflyer

I'm loving these midweek menus, but this, a menu from the Yosemite Valley is easily the most obscure I've ever seen! Thanks so much for posting this!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 06/22/17 14:21
Author: RuleG

Wow, I didn't know the Yosemite Valley offered dining car service.

Thanks for posting!

Date: 06/22/17 21:41
Author: DynamicBrake

Thanks a bunch for posting this menu. Just looking at it makes me hungry! What year?

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 06/23/17 05:57
Author: njmidland

DynamicBrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks a bunch for posting this menu. Just
> looking at it makes me hungry! What year?
>
> Kent in CArmel Valley

No date on the menu. Based on the prices, I would guess about 1930.

Tim

Date: 06/23/17 20:30
Author: jeffgeldner

Many thanks for sending. The prices are slightly higher but the design is the same as one I have, given to me back in 1979 by Al Rose. Of note, back then, most breakfast items on the Santa Fe and SP trains running through the San Joaquin Valley cost 25 cents. I believe the dining car service was in observation cars 330 (still operates occasionally at the Niles Canyon Railway) and 331, since scrapped. However, actual dining cars may have been leased during the summer from either the Santa Fe or SP. Most of my books are in storage so I lack direct access as a reference.

The higher prices for breakfast vs. the SP and AT and SF trains are akin to the higher prices charged inside the Park vs. in San Joaquin Valley cities today- location, supply and demand.

Jeff Geldner
Sequoia National Park, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds