Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Coast Line back in the days of 14-hour Law.

Date: 06/23/17 14:58
SP Coast Line back in the days of 14-hour Law.
Author: TonyJ

My pal Sellar "Nudge" Nugent sent he seven pages of SP Engineers Registers from June and September, 1972. Nudge is faster than me as I just got home after doing six hours of trackwork in the hot sun at our Medford Railroad Park. (Dummy me!). I found Nudge's explanation so I'll post his pages and explanation of the symbols, etc.

These are copies from the Engineers Registers at San Luis Obispo in June and September, 1972. We were working under the 14 hour law.

A retired Engineer rescued these out of the trash when the UP did a bunch of house cleaning years ago. It shows the traffic we had and the engines we had back then.

I would like to thank the retired Hoghead for his foresight. I would also like to thank Tony Johnson for posting these for me. He took time out of his busy day so other rails and fans can see what went on back then. They still ran First, Second and Third Class freight trains and 1 First Class Passenger in each direction. Oh, and helpers back and forth over the hill.

The picture was taken at the "Old Timers" BBQ in SLO in 2016. From Left to Right:

S B Nugent (Nudge), Jim, J P McEntire, Jim's Dad, Bob R L McEntire, and R P Craig (Sheepherder)

Shown are Engineer & Fireman. If you didn't have a fireman it was a space number. Under Mileage you would enter how many miles in "F" freight & "P" passenger for your checking periods. We didn't keep track of miles in SLO back then.

As for Arrivals:

There is a time shown in "A". That is the time you "Hit the Switch" for mark up time on the board. The time shown in "B" is the time you get back to the change room, depot, etc. The time shown in "E" & "F" is the time you go off duty. Further over is a space where you "Tie Up" for 8, 10 or 12 hours undisturbed rest. If you wanted time at home, you book 12 hours every trip.

Take Page 2:
It shows Engineer Ware coming in on #922. He hit the switch at 12:50 AM, the depot at 1:00 AM, going off duty at 1:15 AM.

On down it shows Swanson coming in on a lite helper with space #150 with 7 stoves. Right below him is Nugent with the same times, same power. What happened was I worked over at 10:00 AM OD and I shoved a train to Margarita. Then they had me couple up with Swanson with all our power and come back to SLO lite.

On Page 3:
It shows me dead heading in from King City, showing I was run around by Bryant & Thompson enroute. I had caught a west train and died at King City. They headed me back to SLO in a cab and I tied up with 14 hours on duty.

On Page 4:
It shows R P Craig coming in on 1/922 at 5:35 PM and I came in on an Extra West at 5:45 PM.

On Page 5:
I came in with Engineer McEntire on 1/829. At the bottom of the page you can see Engineer Morris, Fireman Reynolds, helping 2/922 into SLO but they held them on duty for a second trip. That is why they showed the time and put down 1st Trip. If they went over 8 hours until they departed on a "2nd Trip, 1st 8 hours, they would get another day, 100 miles.

On Page 6:
This is the On Duty page in the same registers.

It shows the train you are called for, rest you had, Time on duty and time you were supposed to depart. Then you would compare time and show OK. Looking down the page, they used Bob McEntire to patch a train at Surf at 7:00 AM. He came back in and was called again with me at 9:00 PM for 2/832.

On Page 7:
You can see McEntire & Nugent worked back on 3/831.

I realize the pages are not in order, but that is the way they were sent to me.
If you have any questions, I will try to answer them

I again would like to thank Tony Johnson for posting these. Every time I try to post a picture on TO it goes off into cyber space.

Page 1, 2 and 3 are with this message. Pages 4 through 7 will follow. (I haven't received Nudge's photo as yet.)
Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 15:03 by TonyJ.

Date: 06/23/17 14:59
Re: SP Coast Line back in the days of 14-hour Law.

Pages 4 through 6.

Date: 06/23/17 15:00

Last page from Nudge's Engineers Register Sheets at San Luis Obispo in 1972.

Date: 06/23/17 21:46
Author: bradleymckay

Thanks for posting this Tony. Jim G. "SanJoaquinEngr" and Tom S. "switchlamp" will be interested in seeing this.

Allen

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 22:05 by bradleymckay.

Date: 06/24/17 05:22
Author: hogheaded

Thanks Tony and Seller! I hope to have time shortly to return to work on History San Jose's Ernie Kiesel's collection of photos online. I recall that it definitely has photos of Langlois & Duceshi, and perhaps one or two other of the senior signatories. Unfortunately, these days I die on the six hour law.

EO

Date: 06/24/17 17:02
Back in the days of 14-hour Law. - old timers photo

Nudge sent me the photo that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread. - Tony

The picture was taken at the "Old Timers" BBQ in SLO in 2016. From Left to Right:

S B Nugent (Nudge), Jim, J P McEntire, Jim's Dad, Bob R L McEntire, and R P Craig (Sheepherder)

Date: 06/24/17 19:38
Re: Back in the days of 14-hour Law. - old timers photo
Author: bradleymckay

Some of the names are hard to read -

photo 2: 1-835 is G.E. Downs, 2-835 is C.K. Thorne, extra west is R.W. Large

photo 3: 1-831 looks to be A.B. Sprayberry

photo 6: #374 is G.A.(George) McCarron...John Signor dedicated his "SP Coast Line" book to George. Sadly, I only got to meet George once...

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/17 19:43 by bradleymckay.

Date: 06/25/17 17:41
Re: Back in the days of 14-hour Law. - old timers photo
Author: WAF

Let's see some more??

Date: 06/30/17 07:10
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Great post,,, recognize many of the names of engineers I worked with in the early days of the run through to SLO when Santa Barbara was eliminated. Norris Lipe, Bruce Sprayberry, Eddie Platz. Many of the SLO engineers worked with also Nudge, Craig, Gray, McCarron, McCarthy etc, keep the photos coming !!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds