Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Nostalgia & History > Where Was Roger?

Date: 06/23/17 17:17
Where Was Roger?
Author: MartyBernard

I have found some of Roger Puta's slides from May of 1980 from around Nebraska. I think you will find many of them interesting. These two are from McCook, NE. By the size of the building it must have been Division Offices. The architecture sure is CB&Q.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Date: 06/23/17 18:07
Re: Where Was Roger?
Author: czephyr17

Yes, McCook was a division headquarters, including dispatchers. Roger would have taken the picture while standing on a walkway that crossed over the main track and yard just west of the depot. This is a poor instamatic photo that I took of the walkway on July 2, 1977 while standing on the platform approximately between the yellow sign and main track in Roger's photo.

Heading west from this point to Akron, Colorado, trains like the Denver Zephyr really made good time. The 1966 timetable, for example, called for the westbound Denver Zephyr to cover this 143 mile westbound run in 112 minutes, for an average speed of 76.61 miles per hour.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/17 18:52 by czephyr17.

Date: 06/25/17 14:08
Author: bmarti7

czephyr17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, McCook was a division headquarters, including
> dispatchers. Roger would have taken the picture
>
> Heading west from this point to Akron, Colorado,
> trains like the Denver Zephyr really made good
> time. The 1966 timetable, for example, called for
> the westbound Denver Zephyr to cover this 143 mile
> westbound run in 112 minutes, for an average speed
> of 76.61 miles per hour.

We were on the CZ from Omaha to Oakland in Dec. 1963. Our train was an hour late when we pulled into the siding at what I now know was Brush. After about 5 minutes the westbound DZ blew our doors off at track speed. The CBQ dispatcher gave priority to the overnight business over the cruise train. The CZ passengers didn't mind. It was Christmas Eve and we had the snow covered Rockies ahead.
BB

Date: 06/28/17 11:25
Author: SD45X

And the walkway bridge is gone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds