Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Nostalgia & History > Water Level Wednesday: More Light Engine Moves

Date: 07/05/17 06:30
Water Level Wednesday: More Light Engine Moves
Author: march_hare

We're at the hilliest section of the Water Level Route near Canajoharie, NY on a late Sunday afternoon in 1998.

As one of the common Sunday afternoon light engine moves rolls past me heading west, I don't notice that he has his red marker lights on and his ditch lights off.  At this point, it has been a long, cold wait for anything to come by.  After a full afternoon of seeing almost nothing move, the approach-lit signal behind me has lit up green, and I have gotten out of the car to wallow though the snow to line up the best angle.  It's about 5 degrees outside, and the wind is picking up as I wait.  And wait.  And wait.

It's a full 15 minutes before I see a headlight appear.  The nose looms out of the shadows on this side of the river.  On the other side, trucks gleam in the sun as they roll along the NY State Thruway.

The sun is fading, the lowest priority movement on the entire railroad has just passed by.  Not likely that anything else will happen before dark.  My coffee is now really really cold, and so are my feet.  Time to head home.

Date: 07/05/17 18:25
Re: Water Level Wednesday: More Light Engine Moves
Author: atsf121

Nice picture, great write-up.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds