Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Nostalgia & History > Three From a Filing Exercise

Date: 07/19/17 12:14
Three From a Filing Exercise
Author: africansteam

1. SP and UP on Cajon Pass in February of 1977.

2. SP 7399 running ahead of SP 4449 north of Sacramento. I used this shot as practice for a pan of 4449 pulling the World's Fair Daylight in May of 1984.

3. Heading down the Peavine in October of 2000 AT&SF 3751 crosses Little Hell Gate Bridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/17 12:15 by africansteam.

Date: 07/19/17 12:36
Re: Three From a Filing Exercise
Author: refarkas

Three first-class images.
Thanks for sharing these.
Bob

Date: 07/19/17 15:04
Author: nycman

Jack, we must have been standing side by side for that third shot at the Hellgate bridge. Come to think of it we were side by side with about 50 other fans. I had my 10 year old grandson with me and we were chasing 3751 back to LA following the NRHS convention at Grand Canyon.

Date: 07/21/17 03:57
Author: Evan_Werkema

The little bridge the 3751 is crossing and the larger bridge it will cross at Drake span a gulch known as Hell Canyon. The big bridge is usually called the Hell Canyon Bridge and the smaller one the Little Hell Canyon Bridge. As far as I know, there is no landform called Hell Gate in the immediate vicinity of the Santa Fe bridges. There is a well known Hell Gate Bridge spanning the East River on the Northeast Corridor, and the similarity in the names sometimes leads to confusion. Arizona has a Hell's Gate Wilderness near Payson, but that's quite a ways east of Santa Fe's Peavine.

"Peavine," of course, is yet another nickname ripe for confusion, applied to a number of different rail lines around the country including another Santa Fe line in New Mexico built by the Pecos Valley & Northeastern (PV&NE = Peavine).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds