Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1995: Kansas City from the ground and on the ground

Date: 07/20/17 03:51
1995: Kansas City from the ground and on the ground
Author: bandob

In June 1995 I was back at my usual hotel, the Crown Center. I always liked staying there, with the north side rooms giving a view of the almost continuous train activity passing Union Station. On this Sunday morning, I looked out the window and at first could not believe what I saw. (Photo 1)

But, a closer look confirmed it: grain hoppers all over the ground. (Photos 2 and 3)

B&OB

Date: 07/20/17 03:54
Re: 1995: Kansas City from the ground and on the ground

After a closer look from the bridge, it was off to the meetings. Later in the day I saw that freights were running slowly passed the site. Then, I noticed a Santa Fe stopped, and the locomotives did not look quite right.

A rail had rolled under them and now there were two trains on the ground.

B&OB

Date: 07/20/17 03:56

For the rest of the day, I had to go and watch as the Hulchers and railroaders put the railroad back together.

B&OB

Date: 07/20/17 03:58

It was fascinating watching. Not your average day in Kansas City. By the next day, trains were rolling again.

If anyone knows more details about the event, please share with us. I believe it was the first weekend in June, 1995.

B&OB

Date: 07/20/17 05:01
Author: refarkas

First-class coverage of that incident. These photos give a new look at what happened and the work to clear it up.
Bob

Date: 07/20/17 05:15
Author: GPutz

Thanks for this thorough and interesting post. Gerry

Date: 07/20/17 06:45
Author: sp8192

Ha! Wow, looks like they were trying to use the Amtrak running track to run trains around the derailed grain train....then disaster! That would be a sight to see today...double stacks using the Amtrak tracks at KC Union Station..

Date: 07/20/17 11:23
Author: ClubCar

Thanks again Bill for the very interesting photos and the story. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time to capture this event.
John

Date: 07/20/17 14:24
Author: bmarti7

Those pink grain cars from Iowa always stood out. Any around today are faded almost white. The only thing pink on the rails are the pinkbonnets.

BB

Date: 07/20/17 14:26
Author: atsf121

Thanks for posting, wonder how many of these types of incident occur every year where the detour routing fails and all tracks become blocked?

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2011 seconds