Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: Burlingame has a visitor!

Date: 08/16/17 05:52
WAG Wednesday: Burlingame has a visitor!
Author: santafe199

I was on the homebound highway yesterday (15th), returning from Summerail '17 in Marion, OH. With the mileage I had yet to make I was really not looking forward to rolling back into Manhattan well after midnight. Easy fix. Just extend my mini-vacation one more day and find a motel room, right? One slight problem... For my trip to Summerail I didn't bring a second, pre-written thread for this WAG Wednesday.

But when I crossed the Mississippi into Keokuk, IA I got a sudden inspiration. I knew I had an old leftover copyfile with several miscellaneous Gibson photos still on my laptop. It was used for launching WAG-WED threads while on vacation a few years ago. It was badly obsolete compared to the continually updated original file on my home computer. But all I needed to do was find one previously un-posted photo I could use for today's WAG-Wed.

And here it is: This Bill Gibson photo of Santa Fe's beloved old water boiler went through photo-editing a very long time ago. So long, it was while I was still foolin' around with Picasa. Since I don't have direct access to Bill's slide, I can't really tell you much of a story. However, Bill took many slides from this special excursion from Topeka down to Burlingame, KS. Probably enough for a 2-part thread some day soon. I'll have to re-edit most of the scans, and while I'm at it, I'll resize the photos from 800 to the current 1000. Until then...

1. AT&SF #1, the "Cyrus K. Holliday" visits Burlingame, KS on May 17, 1958.
Photo by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)
posted from Mt Pleasant, IA
(homeward bound from Summerail '17)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/17 06:10 by santafe199.

Date: 08/16/17 06:32
Re: WAG Wednesday: Burlingame has a visitor!
Author: SN711

Lance,

You are so funny!!

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/17 06:32 by SN711.

Date: 08/16/17 06:57
Author: santafe199

SN711 Wrote: > ...  You are so funny ...

Well... as they say: "Looks aren't everything!"

;^)

Date: 08/16/17 08:00
Author: tomstp

In the 1970's Santa Fe brought that engine to Ft Worth for some type of celebration. They put some tires in the smokebox and set them on fire to make smoke from the engine. Gee.

Date: 08/16/17 08:40
Author: twin_star_rocket

My father took this photo of me on Santa Fe #1 during it's visit to Houston, TX in the late 50's.

Brian Ehni

Date: 08/16/17 16:26
Author: LocoPilot750

Being in the right place at the right time got me a cab ride on that engine sometime in the late 60's, from Pauline to Topeka, KS. It was being towed behind the caboose on the Emporia-Topeka local, and the Trainmaster was riding with it. He thought I might like to say I rode on it someday. No pictures, darn it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds