Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Nostalgia & History > When was the last time you heard the sound of a Fairbanks OP?

Date: 09/16/17 08:49
When was the last time you heard the sound of a Fairbanks OP?
Author: navarch2

I did spend time at the Waterford Tug Roundup riding of my clients' tug, the ex-MARGOT MORAN, now known as the "MARGOT". She is a NY canal tug owned ny New York Marine Highway - a tug and barge operator based in Troy, NY. She has a Fairbanks Morse 8 cylinder OP diesel engine in her (Roots Blown) which was of course also a locomotive prime mover. The boat was built in 1956.

So I took a few videos so everyone could hear the sound of these engines - some of you might remember it from being trackside.

Bob

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/16/17 09:30
Re: When was the last time you heard the sound of a Fairbanks OP?
Author: icancmp193

About 1966 but I haven't been near any tugboats or submarines.

TJY

Date: 09/16/17 11:40
Author: PHall

F-M's are very popular for marine use. Which is what they were designed for in the first place!

Date: 09/16/17 18:03
Author: tronarail

Might be my computer, but the videos won't play. I'm getting a message like, "video not supported;" or "something about a file path." Just FYI. Hopefully, the T/O Tech Wizards can clear this up.

Date: 09/16/17 18:39
Author: jdw3460

I remember hearing the distinct sound of a Santa Fe 6-cylinder FM H12-44TS (zebra stripe) in the yard at Winfield, Kansas sometime in the late 1950's. It was used for a while on a daily train that went east to a rock quarry at Moline, Kansas and hauled a train of rock back to Winfield that was being used in the building of the Kansas Turnpike. I thought that sound was a far better engine sound than either Alco or EMD prime movers. I think it sounded less muffled on the loco than on the marine applications.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 18:46 by jdw3460.

Date: 09/16/17 18:52
Author: sixaxlecentury

Spent 22 days straight on that boat...

FM's are rapidly going away in Marine use. Only 3 boats left in NY, and one is a museum piece!

I start one every day.. Still have yet to add any oil in it to boot..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/17 18:57 by sixaxlecentury.

Date: 09/16/17 20:18
Author: TomPlatten

As long as you keep an eye on them they are very reliable. No valves to fail! I love that throaty sound. No other diesel makes that sound. God help you if you ever have to take one apart! My favorite part of overhauling an FM was removing the lower pistons! The railroads just couldn't get to be reliable. Much better for marine use or stationary generators.

Date: 09/17/17 07:57
Author: kgmontreal

Up until the last couple of years there was an F-M powered laker, the Mantadoc/Maritime Trader/Manitoba, that I used to see on the Seaway. It sounded great accelerating out of a lock. It's still stored in Montreal.

Years ago we went to the NMRA National Convention in Kansas City. We set off on our own to railfan Nebraska and discovered many small municipal power plants. These were powered by all kinds of fascinating diesel engines including F-M OP's. The plants were used to supplement the power grid during peak demand. Some were running when we were there and we were invited in. I shot stills and video. It was F-M heaven.

Ken Goslett

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1102 seconds