Home Open Account Help 414 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some More of Roger Puta's Santa Fe

Date: 09/22/17 21:48
Some More of Roger Puta's Santa Fe
Author: MartyBernard

I still have maybe 100 of Roger Puta's slides to post. Here is a batch of six Roger never got to captioning but were shown in his Winterail Program "My Santa Fe". ...and every one is interesting. The dates are what Kodak stamped on the slide mount.

1. April 1972. I guessing this is Albuquerque.

2. July 1972. Again I think this is Albuquerque and the boys are locals who came to watch the train.

3. October 1971. CONCHO

Continued...

Date: 09/22/17 21:48
Re: Some More of Roger Puta's Santa Fe
Author: MartyBernard

4. October 1971.

5. May 1973. A Warbonnet B-Unit? I sure like all the reflections.

6. October 1983. From a cowl unit.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/17 00:26 by MartyBernard.

Date: 09/23/17 07:27
Author: ironmtn

More fine images from Roger Puta's intrepid camera.

The second and third images are absolutely striking, and are images of real artistic merit. Both scenes capture evocative and striking moments at what looks to be Albuquerque, and can be read on several levels.

The second image: the silvery beauty of the car, projecting an image of style that any bystander on the platform could only admire. But also perhaps a slightly aloof style, particularly if you know something about the car. This was the dome for those on the Super Chief who could afford its luxury, taste and class. Celebrities, movie stars and other important people rode there, watched the world go by from there. A Lucius Beebe would have celebrated it with some well-turned phrase that evoked its class and prestige, and yes, its exclusivity.

We don't know what the three people on the platform are thinking. Their backs are to us, and we can't read any emotions from their faces. Are they simply admiring the beauty of the car and the train? Are they envious of its style and luxury? They appear to perhaps be persons of color, Native Americans or Hispanic. What are their thoughts and feelings from the perspective of their lives and experience? Read against our society today, across a wide canyon of social and political views and values, is it admiration and aspiration? Or envy and resentment? Or a mix of both?

Similar thoughts for the third image, of the Afican-American cook standing in the vestibule door. He has worked that train, knows its class and elegance, and has prepared those famous Fred Harvey meals for an upscale clientele. He knows the beauty and class and style that's around him on every trip, but also the heat and hard work of the kitchen. How does he look at this train of style? Just a job, another trip to be completed? Or something more?

Truly great images evoke much more from us in our thoughts and feelings. They make us admire, but also think and reflect. These images, especially the second, do that. Exhibition quality, absolutely.

Some of Roger Puta's very finest and most admirable images.

Thank you so much, Marty, for sharing them with us all.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/17 10:00 by ironmtn.

Date: 09/23/17 17:20
Author: czephyr17

I agree, artistic photos, and excellent commentary by ironmtn.

I would only add for the third photo, given the date, is the cook contemplating the future of this new organization called Amtrak, this train, and his job? Have the standards that this train was noted for already been relaxed, and what does that portend?

Date: 09/23/17 17:32
Author: agentatascadero

Yes, all mages evocative and well composed. Regards the youth looking at the train.....I'd say they are either vendors, or children of the vendors who meet every train to sell Indian jewelry from stands they set up on the platform.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/23/17 17:37
Author: clem

ACI label says number 200303. I suppose they used that high digit (2 in the case) to distinguish 303L/A/B..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds