Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Nostalgia & History > Last Vestiges Of The SP That I Remember, EB Bryn Mawr, Fall 1985

Date: 11/06/17 19:26
Last Vestiges Of The SP That I Remember, EB Bryn Mawr, Fall 1985
Author: FiveChime

Eastbound working upgrade toward Beaumont Hill, October 1985.

Older GP40 on the point with even older GP35 back in the power consist brought back memories when
seeing these locomotives new, in better times, powering overnight piggyback trains 372 and 374 down
the SF Peninsula bound for LA.

SP standard oscillating lights and mellow sounding Nathan old cast P3 horns would soon be replaced by
yellow blinkers and a variety of newer cast P3s and horrid sounding Leslie and Air Chime K horns.

In 1985, only the old post office remained in the tiny town of Bryn Mawr, but it appeared that there was some history
there at an earlier time.

Regards, Jim Evans

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/06/17 19:54
Re: Last Vestiges Of The SP That I Remember, EB Bryn Mawr, Fall 1
Author: srman

Great video and much enjoyed!

Date: 11/07/17 06:25
Author: Copy19

No graffiti anywhere on that train. Amazing.

Date: 11/07/17 07:30

Yea, and it had a caboose too!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 11/07/17 07:42
Author: SPDRGWfan

Quite a treat that video. Most of the video's posted here are from the 1990's and a blurry mess to-boot. So if we get anything from the mid-1980's or earlier, and it's not real blurry, that is something very special to me!

Was that film transferred to digital?

Cheers, Jim

Date: 11/07/17 11:10
Author: callum_out

I can remember when that was an at-grade crossing, the packing house was busy and the branch to
Crafton took off there, isn't progress wonderful?

Out

Date: 11/07/17 11:56

From VHS to DVD. Quality is really not that good, but at least you can see and hear it!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 11/07/17 12:07
Author: GCL13

Very Nice. Brings back memories. Noticed a large a,oust of SP and SSW Plug Door Boxcars. In fact it appears that their were more boxcars in consist than other types. Boy has that changed.

Date: 11/07/17 18:47
Author: Atlpete

Excellent quality image and camera work; the mid-eighties is so way under-rated in my opinion, this is the how freight trains should look. The light package on the lead SLSW unit, the mu'd powered sets.
All those SP 50's Hydra-cushions, Fabulous video, watched it about three times now.
Thanks for posting this!

Date: 11/07/17 18:52
Author: RailRat

And "manned" helper units to boot! Very nice/stable/sharp looking VHS to Digital transfer too! The VHS to DVD unit used must have been a good one. Plus the master tape must have been in good shape too. I purchased and used one of those VHS to DVD units back in the early 2000's, and results were poor at best. Wound up spending a lot of time and $$ putting together a semi-professional windows XP video transfer system that yields better results. Plus each VHS tape itself can be a different beast to deal with, depending on master tape quality, and original camera used.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 11/07/17 19:08

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can remember when that was an at-grade crossing,
> the packing house was busy and the branch to
> Crafton took off there, isn't progress wonderful?
>
> Out

Me too! + all the orange groves!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 11/07/17 19:36

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quite a treat that video. Most of the video's
> posted here are from the 1990's and a blurry mess
> to-boot. So if we get anything from the
> mid-1980's or earlier, and it's not real blurry,
> that is something very special to me!
>
> Was that film transferred to digital?
>
> Cheers, Jim

Yes, good point, I agree, very nice and watchable for such an "early" VHS.

Plus I must add that Analog VHS is by nature already quite "soft" jiggly, and un-stable, depending on quality and $$ of camera used originally. Then, the conversion of analog VHS to Digital can be a long, frustrating, expensive, and even sometimes rewarding experience for those who are concerned with presenting a good, clean, stable end product to viewers. Nowdays of course we are all used to watching HD, and yes, viewing an improperly converted VHS can be very difficult to enjoy. Sometimes the defects on some VHS tapes simply can't be fixed during the transfer to digital.

I think converted old Films are clearer looking than VHS, but timing of the frames can be tricky when converting to digital, and can result with a "jerky/stuttering" effect.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/17 19:57 by RailRat.

Date: 11/07/17 19:44

Again thanks for posting this exellent video. The location, and Gyro-light reminds me of passing over the same sub, but on the I-215 freeway, east end of Colton yard, at night, always checking left and right real quick for those oscillating lights coming from west or east.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 11/08/17 07:32

Thanks everyone. While others were taking photos, I did video starting in 1984 with VHS, then 8MM, and finally direct DVD, currently.

It wasn't until recently, thanks to a friend's patience, that I learned to post my videos on TO.

I'll try to keep your interest with future postings.

Regards, Jim Evans

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1107 seconds