Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Nostalgia & History > a "luck of the draw" catch

Date: 11/10/17 11:23
a "luck of the draw" catch
Author: FT

It was October 29, 1968. I had driven my mom and aunt from Florida to Bloomington, IN for a family visit. I had the car for a day and among
other spots, I dropped by Terre Haute to look around. Now, I wish I had shot many more of this set of F's. PC 4360 (FP7) - PRR 1481 (PC number) - NYC 1775.
What are the chances to get three F's a PC and the two major roads that formed PC, mu ed up. The 1481 should be a PC number, but no patching
seen.

Keith A (ft)

Date: 11/10/17 11:28
Re: a "luck of the draw" catch
Author: King_Coal

Nice one Keith!

Date: 11/10/17 11:35
Author: BigSkyBlue

A merger lashup..nice.

PRR renumbered many of their locomotives to the PC plan before the merger, no? BSB

Date: 11/10/17 12:30
Author: cozephyr

You spent your time well, Keith. Sweet lash-up there! Thanks for sharing a 1960's memory.

FT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was October 29, 1968.

I dropped by Terre Haute to look around. Now, I wish I had shot many more of this
> set of F's. PC 4360 (FP7) - PRR 1481 (PC number) -
> NYC 1775.
> What are the chances to get three F's a PC and the
> two major roads that formed PC, mu ed up. The 1481
> should be a PC number, but no patching
> seen.

Date: 11/10/17 12:41
Author: wabash2800

Yes. Even the FP7s was renumbered before the merger. Many of the former PRR FP7s lasted quite a while. But the PRR F7s didn't. The former NYC F7s lasted longer than the PRR ones.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

BigSkyBlue Wrote:
> A merger lashup..nice.
>
> PRR renumbered many of their locomotives to the PC
> plan before the merger, no? BSB

Date: 11/10/17 12:41
Author: gcm

Great photo and a nice catch.
Gary

Date: 11/10/17 12:57
Author: santafe199

FT Wrote: > ... What are the chances to get three F's ...

I got off work in Laurel (MT) one morning back in the mid 90s. After yarding our train and getting the power back to the house I spotted a very interesting consist sitting in one of the holding tracks. This was when the Santa Fe/BN merger talks were hot & heavy, and UP made it's bogus feint toward acquiring the Santa Fe. There were 3 SD40-2s lashed up in perfect light left to right: UP on the west end pointed west, BN on the east end pointed east and Uncle John Santa Fe in the middle pointing toward the BN unit. It was a perfect visual story of the "tug-o-war" between UP & BN, ultimately won by the BN. Unfortunately I was deep in the middle of my infamous railfan hibernation. Not only was I not carrying my camera at the time, I would have had to run over to Billings to buy some Kodachrome. Sigh...

Lance/199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/17 12:59 by santafe199.

Date: 11/10/17 12:59
Author: valmont

Keith's comment: "Now, I wish I had shot many more of this set of F's." So do I :-)

Date: 11/10/17 13:12
Author: rrpreservation

Awesome catch!!! Thanks for sharing your luck.

Date: 11/10/17 13:58
Author: refarkas

An "A+" catch.
Bob

Date: 11/10/17 14:08
Author: wabash2800

Your photo reminded me of something. When Bob? Reid published PC Rairoader and RailsNortheast, as a very young teenager I sent him a letter (probably along with my negs which were later destroyed in a flood in his basement).

Anyway, I commented that I really enjoyed the mix of paint schemes on the then Penn Central and how fun it was to model. But Bob was really a diehard Pennsy fan and by reading his comments or lack of comments, I got the impression he wasn't amused.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 11/16/17 12:17
Author: Korigaoka1811

wabash2800 Wrote:
> Many of the former PRR FP7s lasted quite a
> while. But the PRR F7s didn't.

> Victor A. Baird

What kept the FP7s around longer than the straight F7s? Greater fuel capacity?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds