Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Nostalgia & History > Antique Santa Fe posters

Date: 11/17/17 17:38
Antique Santa Fe posters
Author: stash

A friend who is a custom framer had a client bring these to the shop. No date or another information. They are large travel posters. Perhaps someone can attach an approximate date to the posters or other useful commentary.

Date: 11/17/17 17:39
Re: Antique Santa Fe posters
Author: sanjacmodels

1940's? are they for sale

Date: 11/17/17 17:44

No. The customer just had them framed for safe display and keeping.

sanjacmodels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1940's? are they for sale

Date: 11/17/17 17:45
Author: kpcmcpkva

WAG on my part is 1880's to early 1900's

Date: 11/17/17 18:35

Looking at Google for G.T. Nicholson, 1894 comes up as a year. The printed poster looks that age too.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/17/17 19:25
Author: millerdc

Who handled the through cars between St. Louis and KC?

Date: 11/17/17 21:17
Author: cewherry

millerdc Wrote:
> Who handled the through cars between St. Louis and
> KC?

According to the January 1910 edition of the Official Guide the CB&Q, C&A (predecessor of the GM&O), MOP and Wabash all provided connecting
service with Santa Fe at Kansas City. Santa Fe's "Los Angeles Express" offered tourist sleepers between St Louis and Los Angeles and all four
of the roads mentioned here alternated in handling the through cars. No mention in this edition of the Guide regarding through cars
on the "California Limited".

Charlie

Date: 11/18/17 08:07
Author: mp51w

Have that guy(Nicholas D. Lowry) from Antiques Roadshow have a go with an appraisal of those beautiful posters!
Big $$$ I bet! That's cool to see Topeka prominently displayed for General Passenger Agent. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 11/18/17 10:03
Author: wjpyper

Definitely late 19th Century. I'll do some research to find out who the artist was. Probably worth about $2,000 each.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 11/18/17 21:40
Author: NGotwalt

mp51w Wrote:
> Have that guy(Nicholas D. Lowry) from Antiques
> Roadshow have a go with an appraisal of those
> beautiful posters!
> Big $$$ I bet! That's cool to see Topeka
> prominently displayed for General Passenger Agent.
> Thanks for sharing!

Give him (Nico Lowry) a call, he runs Swann Auction Gallery in New York City, I have known him professionally for years. Great guy, if you ever do meet him, take sunglasses, his suits can be blinding. By the way, I dealt in vintage posters, if original, linen mounted, not faded in good condition, no research beyond this...I'd say 1905ish, based on the art nouveau style. I'd say $3000-$5000 a piece (quick estimate), so not real valuable (when you deal Mucha's worth $150,000 or Henri de Toulouse-Lautrecs worth $250,000 anyway). Still nice pieces.

Cheers,
Nick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds