Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Nostalgia & History > WP 713 and a Brightside bird's eye...

Date: 11/22/17 00:39
WP 713 and a Brightside bird's eye...
Author: Notch16

A fine shot from the camera aboard the DJI Mavic Pro drone of TO's sp5623, showing Brightside Yard of the Niles Canyon Railway near Sunol, California.

Star and centerstage occupant is the freshly-repainted WP GP7. Immediately to camera left (drone left?) is SP 1423, an NW-2 (add the 'E' suffix to be absolutely accurate) and SP 5623, the passenger service "Torpedo Boat."

Just behind the Black Widow 'Boat and tucked away in the Car Shop is the rear of the world's only Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 C'C' Series Unit, SP 9010 -- now able to move under its own power. (That's not a headlight; the circular bright object is actually the unit's rear Dynastarter, which sits atop the rear Voith transmission.) SP 9010 continues to progress, as its cooling system and ancillaries come back on line, and its visual odometer is turned back to Fall of 1964.

To camera right is the consist of the NC Railway's Train of Lights, fully decorated and ready to embark on its traditional holiday season. The PLA's elves have been hard at work since late August; it's the centerpiece of operations on the NC Ry. and a huge holiday favorite.

There's much else to see in the photo, including a former California Western "Skunk," more of the PLA collection, and a large part of the roster of guest tenant Golden Gate Railroad Museum. Check both of their websites for more info on the equipment seen in the photo:

http://www.ncry.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=541047&module_id=137689
http://ggrm.org/collection_list.aspx

Thanks to sp5623 for sharing a view usually restricted to HO scale model railroad layouts! Oh, and special points for anyone spotting the unit of MOW equipment that gives photobob's slogan an eminently practical application.

~ BZ

Date: 11/22/17 07:18
Re: WP 713 and a Brightside bird's eye...
Author: hotrail

That museum must be the only place that saw fit to acquire and preserve a rolling porta-potty.

Date: 11/22/17 08:51
Author: fbe

If the museum is going to have it's own mow employees/volunteers out online doing repairs then functioning toilet facilities are required.

Date: 11/22/17 10:27
Author: sp5623

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the museum is going to have it's own mow
> employees/volunteers out online doing repairs then
> functioning toilet facilities are required.

It's a "convenience" for our Wednesday and Saturday volunteer MW crews.

Howard

Date: 11/22/17 10:48
Author: garrett

I was wondering who was flying that drone around the other day. I managed to stay out of the picture while I polished the UP RPO.

Date: 11/22/17 11:16
Author: sp5623

garrett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering who was flying that drone around
> the other day. I managed to stay out of the
> picture while I polished the UP RPO.

People in pictures don't bother me. They add to the notion that someone is doing something. :-)

Howard

Date: 11/22/17 16:11
Author: Notch16

And of course the Photobob reference is: "It's hauled cr*p now."

~ BZ, wincing

> It's a "convenience" for our Wednesday and
> Saturday volunteer MW crews.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds