Home Open Account Help 151 users online

Nostalgia & History > Two different generations of SP diesels in Reno

Date: 12/14/17 14:27
Two different generations of SP diesels in Reno
Author: Copy19

The first shot was taken at the Ralston Street crossing in Reno, Nev. As best as I can determine I took it in the fall of 1954. The train is eastbound, running left-handed on the double-track main. In the foreground is a runner that paralleled the main on the north side through downtown Reno. The train had stopped just short of the crossing for a red signal on the signal bridge just ahead. The Fs looked very new as they were spotless. As I came to learn that was rare. Perhaps some of you Espee fans have a builder's date on the 6269. Check out the automobile on the extreme left side of the picture. Looks like a 50s Buick.

The second view is at the same crossing on June 22, 1972. The SD-45s also are eastbound and have a clear block on the signal bridge through downtown. You will note that the runner on the north side is gone. The spur on the left ran down to my newspaper's loading dock.

When I took the first picture I was just getting ready to start the 7th grade. I took the second shot when I was a Navy vet and working at my second newspaper.

BTW, this is the same spot where I took my picture of the red, white & blue AFT 4449 eastbound in 1975. Today the railroad is in a trench at this location and the newspaper has long since moved and no longer is rail-served.

John Bromley - Omaha

Date: 12/14/17 14:53
Re: Two different generations of SP diesels in Reno
Author: tomstp

I like the F7.

Date: 12/14/17 14:59
Author: dlh

I used to hang out around that part of Reno too. Lived up on the NW side of town and attended Reno high (grad 1966). Had a Honda motorbike and when coming home from school would always stop if I saw something coming.

Date: 12/16/17 11:08
Author: ble692

The 6269 was built January 1950 and retired June 1967.

Date: 12/16/17 13:28
Author: Copy19

ble692 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 6269 was built January 1950 and retired June
> 1967.

Thank you sir.

Date: 12/21/17 08:52
Author: ShastaDaylight

Thanks John,

I practically grew-up in Reno seeing F-units, then SD45's later on. I prefer the F-units, but surprisingly, I really miss the SD45 years as well... Hope you and your family have a great Christmas!

Best wishes,

ShastaDaylight

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds