Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Nostalgia & History > Another one of those 'Only on the UP" lash ups

Date: 12/14/17 14:55
Another one of those 'Only on the UP" lash ups
Author: UPNW2-1083

Parked on the City of Industry ISO (Industrial Set Out) track in September 1975 was this train with an eclectic set of power that could only be found on the UP. The set consisted of a GP30, SD24B, DD35, SD45, an Omaha 20 (GP9 upgraded to 2000 HP), and a GP30B.-BMT

Date: 12/14/17 16:12
Re: Another one of those 'Only on the UP" lash ups
Author: zorz

Awesome!

Question: are there any good films of the UP in this era with actual sound instead of a dubbed soundtrack that you know of?

Great photos :)

UPNW2-1083 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Parked on the City of Industry ISO (Industrial Set
> Out) track in September 1975 was this train with
> an eclectic set of power that could only be found
> on the UP. The set consisted of a GP30, SD24B,
> DD35, SD45, an Omaha 20 (GP9 upgraded to 2000 HP),
> and a GP30B.-BMT

Date: 12/14/17 16:53
Author: gbmott

You're right, only the UP could have come even close. Those were the days.

Gordon

Date: 12/14/17 21:26
Author: JLinDE

You are right. And UP up until it got that massive fleet of SD-40s/SD-40-2s was a very interesting railroad for loco lash-ups, something I really like. On a Western trip with friends in 1979 I saw the last of some of it but no doubt they got the better photos. I'd really like a color Morning Sun or Four Ways West photo of UP's 'variety' era but so far all I see that has been offered are books with mostly company photos and they would not feature anything like that! Any suggestions?

Date: 12/15/17 00:00
Author: WP805A

Hi Brian,

Great photos of the good old days at City of Industry. Looks like that was the Industry siding as the industrial lead didn't come in until the late 80s .

Posted from Android

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

Date: 12/15/17 07:25
Author: Bob3985

Awesome. A view from the "Good Ole Days" when the locomotive consists were drawing our attention to all the different classes of diesels available back then. I guess I am an old Fuddy Duddy but today, other than a couple of features, the only difference I see in the two manufacturer's products, as I peer from trackside, is the designation lettering on the cabs. LOL.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/15/17 08:48
Author: wigwag

zorz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome!
>
> Question: are there any good films of the UP in
> this era with actual sound instead of a dubbed
> soundtrack that you know of?

I have in my collection many films recorded by a railfan throughout the 70s who also brought his tape recorder when he filmed trains on Super 8 throughout the west. They are all in real good shape too. :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds