Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Different b&w MoPac Monday

Date: 02/12/18 06:30
A Different b&w MoPac Monday
Author: gbmott

I used to think that this picture was ruined because of all those damn people. Now I realize that it is really what makes it interesting. Van Buren, Arkansas, August 18,1957. The crew change took place during a stop at the Yard Office with a second stop at the passenger station about a mile away.

Gordon

Date: 02/12/18 06:57
Re: A Different b&w MoPac Monday
Author: LocoPilot750

Not sure what they're using the coal bucket for.

Date: 02/12/18 07:21
Author: Frisco1522

Classic MP paint scheme. Always liked their original paint schemes and always disliked the Jenks blue.

Date: 02/12/18 07:50
Author: King_Coal

Good looking train. Thanks for posting.

Date: 02/12/18 08:12
Author: exprail

Ice for the cooler box?

exprail

Date: 02/12/18 09:34
Author: rrpreservation

On the Rio Grande, the baggage cars used coal stoves for warmth. I'm not sure that is the case with the Mopac, but that would be a reason for coal.

Date: 02/12/18 11:26
Author: santafe199

Wow, neat shot! Looks like a "meeting of the minds" situation, and I'm willing to bet there is a Road Foreman and probably some kind of Mechanical Dept. brass in attendance.  Meanwhile that elegant E almost looks pleased to be having all of the human attention going on...

Lance/199

Date: 02/12/18 16:41
Author: SCKP187

Excellent photo--a nice looking passenger train paint. Seems odd the crew change wouldn't take place at the depot but it appears there might be some service/supply replacement going on at this stop as well. Thanks for showing this.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/12/18 18:13
Author: gbmott

The yard office was the on-duty point for T&E crews. Trains 125-126 (Little Rock-Kansas City) didn't exactly have a blistering schedule and it was probably felt not worth the bother of transporting the crews to the depot just to save a few minutes. In steam days Van Buren was a locomotive change which also occurred at the yard office.

Gordon

Date: 02/12/18 18:20
Author: UP951West

This is a MoP beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 02/12/18 19:36
Author: ironmtn

Wonderful Missouri Pacific image. Thanks!

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0263 seconds