Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Nostalgia & History > Kansas City Terminal circa 1985

Date: 02/17/18 06:22
Kansas City Terminal circa 1985
Author: GBW309

I shot the Kansas City Terminal only one time during the Memorial Day weekend of 1985 The railroad was at a stand-still unfortunately. I remember being impressed by their classic EMD switchers, complete with cab sun shades and galvanized pail exhaust stack caps! At the same time, there were a couple of freshly painted switchers on the property.

I don't have any other details and there is virtually nothing out there on a Google search. When did the KCT become a WATCO operation and does anybody know any details about the red and white switchers?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Date: 02/17/18 08:27
Re: Kansas City Terminal circa 1985
Author: ntharalson

I didn't know KCT WAS a Watco operation. Gateway Western's switching operations in KC are
Watco, I think. GWRR is owned by KCS. I wonder what the paint jobs were for on the lower
photo. I don't recall seeing anything about that before.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 02/17/18 12:04
Re: Kansas City Terminal circa 1985
Author: zephyrus

Kansas City Terminal still exists as a company. It has been operated by Kaw River Railway, a Watco subsidiary, since March 2006.

Kaw River also operates Gateway Western / KCS trackage in the KC area, as well as other leased and purchased lines totaling about 45 miles, in additional to the KCT.

Kaw River's first trackage was about 12 miles of KCS / GWWR rails starting in 2004. The Kaw River's trackage is broken up into 3 or 4 separate segments.

Z

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds