Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chicago Central peddling empty grain cars.

Date: 02/17/18 08:58
Chicago Central peddling empty grain cars.
Author: GBW309

Chicago Central would run a westbound local out of Waterloo, Iowa to switch online customers and serve grain elevators as needed. I believe this was a turn and ran from Waterloo to Ft Dodge and return. In September of 1987, I was able to photograph that local in a few locations as he peddled grain cars along to line. He left Waterloo with a lengthy train of empties but by the time he reached Alden, Iowa, it was down to just the power and caboose. The rear end conductor offered to let me ride back to Waterloo but since I was riding along with my wife and another couple, I declined the invite. I really wish I would have accepted the ride. Cabooses and offers like that don't come around very often anymore.

Image 1 Our train is in the hole at Parkersburg, Iowa to meet the eastbound freight.
Image 2 Working on a set out at Parkersburg
Image 3 Heading west at Ackley, Iowa

Date: 02/17/18 09:00
Re: Chicago Central peddling empty grain cars.
Author: GBW309

Image 4 Spotting the last of the empties at Alden, Iowa. IIRC, it was a caboose hop back to Waterloo from here.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Date: 02/17/18 13:59
Author: MP90

Really great stuff! Always had a good time railfanning the CC&P back in the early 90's.

Date: 02/17/18 18:24
Author: SCKP187

Nice shots---always like to see local action photos.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds