Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Nostalgia & History > CNJ Where is it?

Date: 02/18/18 14:30
CNJ Where is it?
Author: thebluecomet

This a bought slide I've had for quite some time. Have never been able to identify the location. With the flat country, I doubt it's up on the Central in Pennsylvania. CNJ equipment was a regular site on the Reading, so that is a possibility.

Date: 02/18/18 14:32
Re: CNJ Where is it?
Author: JimBaker

Should you have attached a photo here?

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 02/18/18 14:50

LOL, my bad. That should help.

Date: 02/18/18 15:10
Author: CPR_4000

Looks like all CNJ equipment . . . I think it's in NJ, either west of Somerville or on the NY&LB? I wonder if it's Hampton -- could be the Rt 31 overpass in the distance and the switch to the Lackawanna connection under the consist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/18 15:12 by CPR_4000.

Date: 02/18/18 15:11
Author: Lackawanna484

CNJ didn't run a lot of RPO cars.

Maybe on the southern division, near Lakehurst?

Posted from Android

Date: 02/18/18 15:46
Author: RichM

I'm liking the idea of west of, or immediately around Somerville... are those high voltage wires in the far background or just the effect of an old photo?

Date: 02/18/18 16:54
Author: Lackawanna484

RPO
baggage
no diner

Date: 02/18/18 17:31
Author: boejoe

Rt 31 was probably NJ 69 in those days.

Date: 02/18/18 17:45
Author: rdgrailfan

my first thought was this was a CNJ North of West Trenton on the Reading. CNJ ran two morning and two afternoon trains with RPO's, with and without REA express cars but usually with Mail which on occasion loaded with mail and express on at Jenkintown.
Here is a shot (13 year old with a box camera, ME) of a similar train, afternoon CNJ headed north on the Reading main at Oak Lane (Melrose Park today) with a REA express car and a RPO. This train would make a stop at Jenkintown PA then head out towards West Trenton.
Always ran FM's and passenger cars that looked like they needed TLC. Crummy shot but is what it is!

Date: 02/18/18 18:36

The wires are in the photo. Judging by the sun angle, it looks early afternoon and the track on an east-west alignment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0667 seconds