Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Nostalgia & History > CalTrain #40 passing 1989 earthquake damaged building

Date: 02/18/18 20:13
CalTrain #40 passing 1989 earthquake damaged building
Author: photobob

A couple of days after the October 17, 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake struck the Bay Area we find Train 40 leaving the City for San Jose. The wall of a building on 6th St collapsed and can be seen just behind the freeway. I was working for Macy's as a photographer in South San Francisco when it hit I'll never forget it. Fortunately I had a little pull at our local pub and spent the night at Blooms Saloon down the street from my house pn Portero Hill. There was a picture window that looked out over the city and you could see the fire's in the Marina District. Needless to say many beer's were consumed by candlelight. I just came on all these 35mm film strips in my office cabinet.

Robert Morris Photography
http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/index.html

Date: 02/19/18 08:39
Re: CalTrain #40 passing 1989 earthquake damaged building
Author: norm1153

I guess they will have to keep a few diesels into the electrification era. Caltrain goes to Gilroy on weekdays.

Date: 02/19/18 13:02
Author: HT6

Macy!s was on the branch line that, if I remember correctly, went on to San Francisco at one time.

Date: 02/21/18 10:20
Author: althewelder

Macy's was on a spur track that left the mainline in San Bruno and followed the original main line into San Francisco. I used to cut class sometimes to watch them switch the Macy's warehouse on El Camino in South San Francisco. Somewhere in a box I have some 110 pictures of them working there.

Al Bayer

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds