Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rock Island Technical Society website

Date: 02/25/18 09:18
Rock Island Technical Society website
Author: mamfahr

Hello all,

I have been a regular user of the RITS website as they had provided a great deal of quality RI information there. However, when I checked it today it wasn't available. I see the domain name is now shown as "unused". Anyone know what became of that site? Has it been transferred to another site or has the information been lost to us?

Thanks,

Mark

Date: 02/25/18 10:06
Re: Rock Island Technical Society website
Author: TexasRocket

I do know that Dan Sabin of IANR is supposed to be in the process of moving all physical content of RITS to the Manly Junction Museum. But on the Yahoo group RITSlist, there have been some recent, unsuccessful efforts to contact the administrator of the RITSlist group whom probably ran the RITS website as well. The whole society has been a mess since around 2013 or so. Very unorganized.

Date: 02/25/18 10:41
Author: overland28

The society is dead and gone. There were allegations that a former officer embezzled the society's funds.

Date: 02/25/18 19:48
Author: rrman6

Mark, so sad to hear this, but thanks for the bad news and waking me up. I have a RI Golden State Consist - 1902-1968 that's a web.archive and it once was posted from the RITS group. I just found it was still active so I just screen printed the entire consist. Several other RITS links I'd saved I found just as you...GoDaddy has the web domain parked and up for sale.

Makes me more sad the as I think of the loss. I know the RITS organization died a miserable death years ago and sounds like it died the death of the RI due to some individuals mis-management. I find that printed material still has some value over websites and that is the case here.

Guess we'll see if anything surfaces in the future. I don't know anything about GoDaddy, it appears the rits.org site is up for sale. Estimated value is $1,845. Bids must be $17 or higher. Bidding ends Mar. 6th????
Not sure just what this all means. Attaching a shot here.

Meanwhile the Rock Island Reporter serves as the source for modelers and others history of the RI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/18 20:22 by rrman6.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds