Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1/250th Of A Second Will Not Work

Date: 03/12/18 17:45
1/250th Of A Second Will Not Work
Author: overniteman

Don't know about you, but I started out as a railfan, not a photographer.
So when it came time to pick up a camera and try my hand at it, the results were often more bad (borderline terrible) than good.

Every month when I picked up the latest copy of TRAINS magazine and checked out the photos, I vowed to get better at it.

Along the way, lessons were learned, such as this photo.

Shutter speeds need to increase in direct relation to train speed!

Penn-Central GG-1 4938 slams by a stopped GP-38 at Lane interlocking, Newark, New Jersey.
The G almost looks like it's ready to take flight.
June, 1972.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/18 17:46 by overniteman.

Date: 03/12/18 17:57
Re: 1/250th Of A Second Will Not Work
Author: CNW8531

I think we all learned from the school of hard knocks. Experience is a good teacher! Nice shot nonetheless. And yes, that G is about to take flight it would seem.

Date: 03/12/18 19:38
Author: TTownTrains

Yes indeed. I have a fairly large number of Kodachrome II slides that will attest to that.

Bill Gillfillan
Tulsa, OK

Date: 03/12/18 19:50
Author: sig292

Date: 03/12/18 19:59
Author: GP30M

I learned the hard way through wasted processing fees. Digital was a change in a lot of obvious ways, but taking as many shots as one wanted with no financial consequence is a biggie.

Date: 03/12/18 20:23
Author: Evan_Werkema

That's a great picture! If anything, I'd almost want a little more speed-blur on the GG-1 to heighten the drama.

Date: 03/13/18 09:21
Author: knotch8

I like it. For those not familiar with the area, the GG-1 is eastbound on Track 1, while the GP-38 is on Track 2 and most likely about to take the switch to divert to the Waverly Yard leads that curve beneath the "flyover" of Track 1.

Today this area is just west of Newark Airport station. The lead is still there. Waverly Yard is long-gone, but the lead is still used to reach Oak Island and the ex-LV main line, now Conrail Shared Assets that's used by CSX and NS. Here's an aerial view of the location: https://goo.gl/maps/A1c1CfYSbwG2 If you drag the map northward, the green area between the tracks and the expansive parking lots are the location of Waverly Yard.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds